Campus - Internship Programme - Undergraduate Technology Software Engineer – 2024 (UK)
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
You Lead the Way. We’ve Got Your Back.
With the right backing, people and businesses have the power to progress in incredible ways. When you join Team Amex, you become part of a global and diverse community of colleagues with an unwavering commitment to back our customers, communities and each other. Here, you’ll learn and grow as we help you create a career journey that’s unique and meaningful to you with benefits, programs, and flexibility that support you personally and professionally.
At American Express, you’ll be recognized for your contributions, leadership, and impact—every colleague has the opportunity to share in the company’s success. Together, we’ll win as a team, striving to uphold our company values and powerful backing promise to provide the world’s best customer experience every day. And we’ll do it with the utmost integrity, and in an environment where everyone is seen, heard and feels like they belong.
Join Team Amex and let's lead the way together.
As part of our diverse tech team, you can architect, code and ship software that makes us an essential part of our customers’ digital lives. Here, you can work alongside talented engineers in an open, supportive, inclusive environment where your voice is valued, and you make your own decisions on what tech to use to solve challenging problems. Amex offers a range of opportunities to work with the latest technologies and encourages you to back the broader engineering community through open source. And because we understand the importance of keeping your skills relevant, we give you dedicated time to invest in your professional development.
Role Specific Information:
We are looking for Software Engineering Interns to join our 10-week Summer Internship Program, which will provide you with real, on-the-job work experience whilst allowing you to choose from several potential roles within our scrum teams; giving you the skills and experience to help you accelerate in your studies and future career.
Ever wondered what it’s like to work on J.D. Power’s #1 ranked Mobile App and Website?
Do you know what it takes to setup a near real-time transaction anomaly alerting system?
As an American Express Software Engineer Intern, you will work on building global scale software with a host of tools and frameworks. Internship project areas range from machine learning using big data, native mobile applications, backend services, full stack web applications, or UX/UI focused development. You’ll work across our software products, like Spring Cloud and Webflux for reactive Java services, or Node.js driving React web applications and various microservice architectures.
What type of work can you expect?
- Identify exciting opportunities for adopting new technologies to solve existing needs and predict future challenges.
- Develop applications as part of a scrum team.
- Learn technical skills, write code, conduct code reviews, and write unit tests.
- Partner with Product Managers, Senior Engineers, and Application Architects on your team to conceptualize, build new products and prioritize features.
- Take part in social activities, community service events and projects with other Interns.
- Experience in developing products or projects either in an academic, professional, or personal setting.
- Some entry level software development experience, design, or creative experience.
- Strong understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to articulate work to team members and partners.
- Currently enrolled in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or other technical discipline
- Students must graduate in 2025
- The internship will be based in our Burgess Hill Office
For your application to be considered, please complete the below steps:
- Click on ‘Apply Now’
- Create a new username and password
- Complete and submit your application
Employment eligibility to work with American Express in the UK is required as the company will not pursue visa sponsorship for these positions.
We back our colleagues and their loved ones with benefits and programs that support their holistic well-being. That means we prioritize their physical, financial, and mental health through each stage of life. Benefits include:
- Competitive base salaries
- Bonus incentives
- Support for financial-well-being and retirement
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life insurance, and disability benefits (depending on location)
- Flexible working model with hybrid, onsite or virtual arrangements depending on role and business need
- Generous paid parental leave policies (depending on your location)
- Free access to global on-site wellness centers staffed with nurses and doctors (depending on location)
- Free and confidential counseling support through our Healthy Minds program
- Career development and training opportunities
Offer of employment with American Express is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background verification check, subject to applicable laws and regulations.