Clinical Program Director
Location: Cambridgeshire, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Are you passionate about science and have an extensive knowledge within clinical drug development? Are you also an experienced leader that wants to combine your leadership skills with your strategical understanding of designing clinical programs? At AstraZeneca, we work at the cutting edge of science to develop the ground-breaking medicines of the future – here we do things that have never been done before. Does this match your skills and ambitions for the future? Then join us to discover future treatments of Respiratory & Immunology diseases!
We are now offering an exciting opportunity for a talented and highly motivated individual to join us in the role as Clinical Program Director within the Early Clinical Development, in Respiratory & Immunology (R&I). This position can be placed either in Gothenburg/Sweden, Cambridge/UK, Gaithersburg/US or Warsaw/Poland.
Early R&I within AstraZeneca is accountable for the discovery and the development (up to phase III) of new drugs in the R&I arena. Clinical Development within Early R&I consists of experienced medical directors, clinical scientists and clinical program directors, who, in a collaborative manner, define clinical development strategy, design innovative clinical trials and translate novel scientific ideas to proof-of-concept in target populations.
What you’ll do
In the role as Clinical Program Director, you will be a core member of the Clinical Program Team (CPT) and you will be accountable for the delivery of the clinical program(s) in regards to time, cost and quality. The role provides strategic oversight and feasibility input into the design of the clinical program and plays a key role in the work required to determine possible program design options.
This is a global role in the organization and you will work in a diverse and cross-functional environment. Your focus is across the program level, collaborating with all functions that are key to the development of a compound.
We rely on you to:
- Drive development of robust clinical development plans, including operational design options for assigned aspects of the programs
- Have oversight of clinical program strategy activities within each assigned aspects of program(s)
- Provide strategic and operational input on clinical content to cross-functional program development plans
- Ensure implementation of innovative approaches to delivery with Development Operations, e.g., new delivery platforms and technology to ensure patient insights, patient and site engagement, recruitment and retention
- Provide and ensure expert clinical input into various clinical documents and to support high quality governance and Health Authority interactions
- Act as the initial and program-level AZ operational interface with externally managed/outsourced partners (e.g. CRO/ARO) and collaboration/alliance partners for program planning and delivery
- Be accountable for accurate budget forecasting, and maintenance, and monitoring to baseline, clinical program resourcing, scenario planning, plus overall timelines for trials within assigned program, including setup and maintenance within Company systems, e.g., PLANIT
- Contribute to driving best practices and support process-related improvements and workstreams, including alignment with digital health, clinical innovation, and ensuring timely compliance with Company governance controls
Essential for the role
We believe that you have a Master/PhD of Science in a related discipline. You have extensive global drug development experience with proven track record of leading and driving operational delivery to timelines, cost and quality through collaboration within globally matrixed teams.
You also possess:
- Experience in selection and oversight of external providers and development/review of contracts
- Strong collaborative communication skills including ability to engage with diverse client base and manage through conflict
- Strategic skills including high level of creativity, innovation, and problem solving with ability to manage effectively through ambiguity
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognising their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organisation to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, pioneering groundbreaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey.
So, what’s next!
If you are ready to make a difference - apply today, and we'll make it happen together! We welcome your application (including CV and cover letter), no later than September 30, 2022.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Opportunity: Clinical Program Director
Locations: Gothenburg (Sweden), Cambridge (UK), Gaithersburg (US), Warsaw (Poland)
Salary: Competitive, with excellent benefits
Advert open: September 5 – September 30, 2022
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.