Director Business Planning and Operations
Location: Cambridgeshire, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Business Operations Management? Would you like to apply your expertise in an areas of science that turns ideas into life changing medicines? Then early oncology translational medicine is the right place for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, science-led, patient-focused biopharmaceutical company that focuses on the discovery, development, and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious diseases. At AstraZeneca, we are pioneering new frontiers by identifying and treating patients earlier, working towards the aim of eliminating cancer as a cause of death.
We work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s exceptional skills with those of people from all over the globe.
Be part of fulfilling our ambition to be world leaders in Oncology. We are already the fastest growing team within AstraZeneca and across the industry, and there are countless new indications and targets in our game-changing pipeline.
The vision of AstraZeneca Oncology is to redefine cancer, redefine our solutions to cancer, and restore patients' lives. To achieve this, we have an exciting and diverse portfolio that focuses on four scientific platforms that we believe show the greatest potential for yielding effective medicines for cancer patients.
A place built on courage, curiosity and collaboration – we make bold decisions driven by patient outcomes. Empowered to lead at every level, free to ask questions and take smart risks that write the next chapter for our pipeline.
About the Position
As Director, Business Planning and Operations, you are a key member of the Early Oncology Translational Medicines Leadership Team and you will directly support the VPs of Translational Medicine. You will cover a wide range areas including planning, communication, delivery of strategic and high priority initiatives, operational excellence and process improvements. You will act as the glue between different parts of Translational Medicines team to enable the effective delivery of strategic priorities and collaboration across R&D
- Responsible for the central coordination of key activities, from conception to planning and operational execution. To track, monitor and follow the progress of strategic initiatives and projects.
- Work with leadership team to set, monitor and communicate strategy and goals (activities and budget) in close collaboration with portfolio, project and alliance management teams. Use reporting and analytics tools to communicate results
- Optimise strategic planning & internal/external collaboration across group and provide key input to business planning updates as needed
- Support on other strategic and urgent business needs as they arise (e.g., key senior leadership activities, events, workshops, etc)
- Key point of contact for solving operational issues and driving conflict resolution related to the operation of the Translational Medicines function, liaising with the right people across Early Oncology, ORD and AZ to deliver results
- Support decision-making, risk management and impact analysis
- Manage and set key meeting business agendas and ensure effective action item tracking and follow-up. Coordinate and optimise leadership team critical activities and business meetings (both on-site and off-sites)
- Keep special, urgent projects on task and lead the deployment and adoption of continuous improvement, process improvement and simplification initiatives as needed
- Communicate closely with internal project teams, project managers, team leads and external alliance teams to ensure clear strategy and voice for Translational Medicine
Essential for the role:
- Degree in relevant subject – scientific or management / studies
- Experience supporting a leadership team with diverse team members
- understanding of operational aspects of successfully delivering projects and alliances
- Demonstrated ability to plan and deliver successful initiatives
- Good communication skills
- Good organisational skills
- Ability to work with cross functional teams to deliver common goals
- Strong analytical skills
Location: Cambridge, UK, Gaithersburg, US
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your ambitious spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what’s next?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we can’t wait to hear from you. Don’t hesitate in submitting an application today!
Competitive salary and benefits package on offer.
The successful candidate will have access to a flexible employee benefits fund, including holiday purchase and flexible time off, pension contributions, Share Save Plans, A performance recognition scheme and a competitive, generous remuneration package.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.