Location: Cheshire East, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Senior AI Scientist
Macclesfield or Sodertalje or Gothenburg or Gaithersburg or
Competitive salary & benefits on offer.
Close Date: 2/12/2022
Do you have expertise in, and passion for AI? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
ABOUT THE OPERATIONS IT TEAM
Operations IT is a global IT capability supporting the Global Operations organisation. We business partner with Operations capability areas: Pharmaceutical Technology Development, Manufacturing & Global Engineering, Quality Control, Sustainability, Supply Chain, Logistics and Global External Sourcing and Procurement. We operate out of Operations hubs sites including in the UK, Sweden, US, and China; and out of our Global Technology Centres in India and Mexico.
Here our work has a direct impact on patients – transforming our ability to develop life-changing medicines. We empower the business to perform at its peak and lead a new way of working, combining powerful science with leading digital technology platforms and data. All with a passion to impact lives through data, analytics, AI, machine learning and more.
It’s a dynamic and challenging environment to work in – but that’s why we like it. There are countless opportunities to learn and grow, whether that’s exploring new technologies in hackathons, or transforming the roles and work of colleagues, forever. This is your chance to be part of a team that has the backing to innovate, redefine an industry and change lives.
THIS IS WHAT YOU’LL DO
We are recruiting a Senior AI Scientist to join our newly established Data, Analytics & AI group for Operations IT spanning various business areas such as Develop, Manufacture, Supply Chain, Quality and Procurement.
You will direct the application of sophisticated quantitative expertise in advanced mathematical fields to develop innovative data science solutions. The role will drive the application of foundational and ground breaking techniques to manipulate, and process structured and unstructured data, in combination with business domain knowledge, to develop and apply advanced modelling algorithms (e.g., classification, regression, clustering, NLP, image analysis, graph theory and more) to generate business insights.
You will work autonomously with limited direct supervision from senior team members. You will also provide support to other AI Scientists promoting standard process across multiple domains, and/or team member groups.
Typical accountabilities include:
- Coordinate the implementation of novel modelling solutions designed to drive the interrogation of datasets for insights in scientific and business application areas within defined project scope. This includes integrating complex data from multiple different sources and modalities includes the application of specialized approaches in classification, regression, clustering, NLP, image analysis, graph theory and/or other techniques.
- Using domain-specific understanding, translates unstructured, complex business problems into the appropriate data problem, model and analytical solutions.
- Researches and develops advanced predictive models and computational methods to guide and shape decision-making within the project scope.
- Provide training and advice to collaborators on optimal use of key data, analysis platforms and the appropriate use of data science.
- Apply expert AI research techniques, including establishment of hypotheses that can be approached using computational methods and tools.
- Build and manage effective relationships with partners to ensure utilization and value of information resources and services. Clearly and objectively communicate results, as well as their associated uncertainties and limitations to shape solutions.
- Provide advanced data science expertise to cross-functional projects and shape delivery of data science solutions that drive value to AstraZeneca.
- Apply a range of data science methodologies, developing novel data science solutions where off-the-shelf methodologies do not fit.
- Develop, implement and maintain required tools and algorithms in a manner which meets regulatory and evidential requirements within project scope.
- Developing, maintaining and applying ongoing knowledge and awareness in trends, standard methodology and new developments in analytics and data science.
- Review and develop working practices to ensure that data science work is delivered to robust quality standards.
YOU WILL NEED TO HAVE
- Bachelors Degree (or demonstrable commercial experience) in operations research mathematics, computer science, engineering, physics, statistics, economics, computational sciences or a related quantitative team.
- Demonstrated experience with modern data science approaches, including unsupervised and supervised classification and regression algorithms such as k- means clustering, support vector machines, random forests, neural networks and deep learning. May also have expertise in advanced statistical modelling, or broader aspects of applied mathematics such as dynamical systems or optimisation.
- Demonstrated experience in the modelling of complex datasets in applied business and/or scientific application domains
- Advanced knowledge and proven experience with the standard data science languages: R and Python (Python preferred) and familiarity with database systems (e.g. SQL, NoSQL, graph).
- Understanding and familiarity with software development principles.
- Experience of manipulating and analysing large high dimensionality unstructured datasets, drawing conclusions, defining recommended actions, and reporting results across partners.
- Understanding of algorithm design, development, optimization, scaling and applications.
- Excellent written and verbal communication, business analysis, and consultancy skills.
- Good understanding of at least one business area where the data science is applied.
WHY JOIN US
Here our work has a direct impact on patients – transforming our ability to develop life-changing medicines. We empower the business to perform at its peak and lead a new way of working, combining ground breaking science with leading digital technology platforms and data. All with
a passion to impact lives through data, analytics, AI, machine learning and more.
Join us at a crucial stage of our journey in becoming a digital and data-led enterprise. Make
the impossible possible by building partnerships and ecosystems, creating new ways of working and driving scale and speed to deliver exponential growth. Focused and committed, and backed with the investment to succeed, we’re driving cross-company change to disrupt the entire industry.
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and spark your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.