In Vivo Scientist – In Vivo Expressed Biologics
Job Type: Full time
In Vivo Scientist – In Vivo Expressed Biologics
Competitive Salary & Benefits
Are you ready for a career move that will enable you to apply your in vivo technical skills for the purpose of finding new treatments for unmet patient needs?
At AstraZeneca, we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development!
Who we are
In Vivo Expressed Biologics (IVEB) is a team of explorers - always in pursuit of the most effective treatments for new and challenging therapeutic targets. We are pioneering new drug formats that introduce the genetic code for a therapeutic biologic into the patient’s body, to enable its production in their own tissues.
Working within the IVEB team you will apply your technical in vivo expertise to deliver animal studies that enable our ground breaking science and innovative approach. Here, you will explore bold ideas and challenge the impossible.
This role is best suited for a professional with experience in animal work keen to develop their scientific knowledge and broaden their skills. Join us to contribute to the delivery of our next generation, biotherapeutics portfolio.
What you’ll do
- You will perform daily animal husbandry tasks for rodents, identify and report any abnormal findings, and maintain the highest standards of animal care and welfare
- Perform technical procedures such as animal identification, collecting biological samples, administering test articles, tumour measurements and condition reporting
- Generate clear and complete data sets, including the documentation of raw data in computerized data capturing systems and on hand-written records
- Contribute to the planning and design of in vivo studies and provide general technical and scientific advice on specific projects and studies
- Manage your own work to ensure that agreed targets are met in a timely manner and to quality standards, communicating progress appropriately
- Liaise with colleagues from other disciplines with the purpose of discussing project related matters, sharing experience and reporting progress
- Maintain current knowledge in Laboratory animal sciences, e.g. through Continued Personal Development (CPD), collaboration with peer scientists or contacts by other internal groups
- Ensure work is performed in accordance with appropriate Safety, Health & Environment (SHE), quality and compliance standards, e.g. Good Laboratory Standards (GLS)
- Work flexibly across different therapy areas and participate in provision of weekend, Bank Holiday and Out of hours support
- A Levels, HNC, HND or equivalent or relevant experience
- Significant experimental in vivo skills in rodents including mice
- Current Home Office personal licence holder (modules A-B or 1-2/1-3) or equivalent qualification
- Fully conversant with all aspects of the Animal (Scientific Procedures) Act 1986, Directive 2010/63/EU, associated Home Office guidelines and their implications
- Problem solving skills related to in vivo research and data analysis
- Understanding of the basic principles and concepts in a broad range of technology or substantial experience in a narrower field of technology
- Understanding of compliance systems
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Experience in the pharmaceutical industry
- BSc/MSc degree or equivalent or relevant experience – this position is unlikely to be suited to a person with a PhD
- Experience of gene therapy delivery modalities e.g. AAV
- Experience with working at containment level (CL)2
*** We will be reviewing applications and shortlisting on a rolling basis - as such we reserve the right to withdraw this vacancy ahead of the stated closing date ***
Working here is about more than the science of saving lives. It’s about the people who work here. Continuous learning is good for the individual and good for the business too. Being a ‘Great Place to Work’ is central to our culture. If you can contribute in a fast-paced, lean and entrepreneurial environment, then you’ll quickly feel at home here.
We truly believe that everyone contributes with an outstanding set of competence. Your curiosity and passion for personal development combined with support from colleagues, mentors and leaders, will ensure you maximise your skills, abilities and contribution.
You will be offered a competitive salary and excellent benefits, such as extra paid Holiday, Private Medical Benefits, On-site exercise and much, much more.
This advert will be running from Tuesday, 20th September 2022, and we welcome your application as soon as possible. The scheduled closing date is Friday, 14th October 2022.
Where can I find out more?
- This is what we’re made of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmFx_jr2eFo&t=2s
- Our sustainability ambition: https://www.astrazeneca.com/sustainability.html
- Recent Publications: https://www.astrazeneca.com/publication.htm
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.