Executive Director, TA Strategy, Oncology R&D
Location: Cambridgeshire, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Executive Director, TA Strategy
Location: Gaithersburg, US or Cambridge, UK
Do you have an organizational approach and a can-do attitude that enables you to deliver positive outcomes on high-impact and complex projects? Are you looking to demonstrate those skills to help support the team that shapes our future oncology strategy and portfolio?
With our ground-breaking pipeline, the outlook is forward-thinking. Be proud to be part of a place that has achieved so much, yet is still moving forward. There’s no better time to join our global, growing enterprise as we own the way for healthcare and society.
Oncology Strategy, Business Development & Alliances (SBDA) Team
Our team sits at the center of Oncology R&D – driving our R&D strategy and addressing the unmet needs and future focus of AstraZeneca’s oncology pipeline. We operate both internally and externally, leading collaboration and acquisition opportunities as well as partnering closely with external alliances.
What you’ll do
In this role, you will report to VP, Oncology R&D Strategy, Business Development & Alliances and be accountable for the planning and delivery of the Oncology Therapeutic Area (TA) Strategy.
- Set and communicate TA Strategy priorities: collaborate with SBDA LT to set priorities for TA Strategy across tumors, assets, discovery areas, and key functions (e.g., Translational Medicine, Diagnostics, Data Sciences). Effectively communicate TA Strategy priorities within SBDA team and other AZ business partners.
- Develop integrated plans for TA Strategy: collaborate with TA Strategy leads (tumor, discovery, technology etc.) to develop integrated plans for annual TA Strategy and ongoing strategic engagements. Incorporate key deliverables of other SBDA teams (Competitive Intelligence, Business Development, External Alliances) into TA Strategy when applicable.
- Drive TA Strategy delivery: collaborate with TA Strategy leads to drive execution of the integrated TA strategy plans. Proactively identify areas of interdependency or gaps and facilitate collaborations among strategy leads, and between strategy team and other SBDA teams.
- Drive TA Strategy alignment with other AstraZeneca teams: act as a liaison of the SBDA team to coordinate with other teams (e.g., OBU Strategy, GPPM, Finance) for TA Strategy planning, delivery, communication, and linkage to budget and execution.
- BA/BS and 10 years of experience in life sciences or consulting firm with focus in life science programs
- OR MS/MBA and 8+ years of experience in life sciences or consulting firm with focus in life science programs
- OR PhD or MD and 5+ of experience in life sciences or consulting firm with focus in life science programs
- Ability to interact and communicate effectively with senior executive teams.
- Demonstrated ability to lead and influence experienced professionals.
- Ability to think critically, creatively and to anticipate and solve problems.
- Ability to navigate and be successful in a fast-paced, highly-matrixed work environment
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Effective interpersonal and relationship management skills with consultative approach and ability to interact and build trust
- Operational effectiveness, highly organized process with follow through
- Strong initiative to understand our core business goals and establish processes or programs to set direction, generate alignment and push forward
- Financial background and understanding of forecasts, budgets, financial activities and tools
- Resourceful, motivated, influential and proactive; able to prioritize in a fast-growing organization
- Experience in strategic planning processes and tools
- Scientific background
- Understanding of the pharmaceutical business (including R&D)
- Experience in translating business needs into a coordinated plan from cross-functional senior leadership team
- Ability to develop creative and simple solutions to complex problems
At AstraZeneca, we 're dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration, and always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development. We’re on an exciting journey to pioneer the future of healthcare.
So, what’s next?
Are you ready to bring new ideas and fresh thinking to the table? Brilliant! We have one seat available, and we hope it’s yours.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.