Data Governance Manager
Location: Cheshire East
Job Type: Full time
Data Governance Manager
Competitive Salary & Benefits
Clsoing Date: 16th December 2022
Do you have expertise in, and passion for Data Governance? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
About our it team
Here our work has a direct impact on patients – transforming our ability to develop life-changing medicines. We empower the business to perform at its peak and lead a new way of working, combining cutting-edge science with leading digital technology platforms and data. All with a passion to impact lives through data, analytics, AI, machine learning and more. Join us at a crucial stage of our journey in becoming a digital and data-led enterprise.
This a role within the Enterprise Data & Information Governance team that forms part of Enterprise Data & AI team with IT IGNITE. The role works closely with collaborators across IT and the Business functions to define the key Data & Information Governance Global data standards, frameworks and services that are needed to ensure AZ successfully protects and exploits its data assets.
The enterprise data governance manager role supports the establishment of the data enterprise data standards, the data catalogue capability, the data governance maturity assessment capability and the establishment of a data quality operating model and their transitions from a series of projects to business as usual. This includes working with business peers, data stewards and colleagues across IT.
The purpose of this role is to work with the business data governance managers and data stewards to improve business adoption of data governance best practices, improve the quality of data and its governance within our core systems. Working with senior partners from business units throughout AZ, the data Enterprise Data and AI services team and relevant third parties to deliver a data governance programme to improve data quality within our and core systems and business processes.
The role is responsible for engaging with systems owners and business users to ensure that data governance requirements are defined, documented and translated into effective and consistent processes that improve the quality of our data. The data governance manager will be a member of the enterprise data and information governance management team and work with the enterprise data and information governance manager head.
Responsibilities will be expected to evolve over time as the AZ governance landscape evolves. They will include but will not be restricted to leading and carrying out:
- Build and maintain a detailed assessment of AZ’s data governance activity to ensure compliance with enterprise data and information governance standards and guidelines.
- Create and retain ownership accountability and responsibility guidance to the business community
- Develop standards, policies and procedures to support the data and information governance strategy and provide technical assurance for the on-going implementation of the data governance policy within the business
- Own the delivery of the enterprise data governance programme
- Lead teams across AZ to ensure data governance policies and practices are embedded throughout the company
- Establish standard process for the application of data governance and enabling services and rules for their use
- Align the IT data governance programme to the enterprise data and information strategy
- Embed and align AZ data governance activity with privacy and information security programmes and initiatives
- Use specialist knowledge and expertise to identify improvements to ensure that the enterprise data governance standards continue to evolve to meet the changing regulatory and business landscape.
- Continually assess and identify risks in line with the AZ risk management approach, ensuring they are owned and as appropriate mitigated and accounted for.
- Support and supervise IT data stewardship activities and management of data quality, retention and uses
- A post graduate information management or data governance qualification or experience working within an information or data governance setting Experience
Experience and Knowledge
- A good understanding of data and information management practices including information lifecycle management, data modelling, master data management and carrying out business audits and requirements gathering
- Experience working within the information/records management field
- Experience in leading a data governance programme
- Understanding of the principles of IT security and data protection
- Experience of requirements gathering
- Ability to extract information by questioning, active listening and interviewing
- An understanding of relevant statutory frameworks applying to data governance such as the (eg Data Protection Act)
- Specialist knowledge of data governance principles and practices
- Superb communication and interpersonal skills – able to collaborate closely with staff at all levels
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.