Data and MDM Strategy Architect
Location: Cheshire East, Gaithersburg, Maryland, Luton, Wilmington, Delaware
Job Type: Full time
Data and MDM Strategy Architect
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Architecture? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
ABOUT OUR IT ARCHITECTURE TEAM
As Architects, we connect the dots across the business to improve the agility and functionality of our processes to accelerate AstraZeneca to the next level. There’s so much potential to influence and inspire change, it’s a big challenge if you’re up for it. As champions of our Technology ecosystem, we make sure the rest of the business experiences the true benefits of our systems. Uniting diverse areas and simplifying the way we work, changing approaches and behaviours along the way – our reach goes beyond technology. It starts with a comprehensive view, connecting emerging trends with business ambitions and applying emotional intelligence to understand how we can guide the right way to work and behave. Across the enterprise and each technology domain we come together to find leading solutions that will provide the platform for AstraZeneca’s success. Change agents, we are always proactively hunting for new insights and problem-solving to identify better ways of doing things. Motivated by the opportunities to learn and grow, we move fast and drive forward. Lay the foundations for future technological and people driven success across AstraZeneca.
ABOUT THE ROLE?
Enterprise Data & AI Services (ED&AIS) is a recently formed central IT function accountable for enterprise strategy and standards in Data and AI engineering, enabling services (IT, Finance, HR), enterprise and business information and data architecture as well as the delivery of data provisioning services and AI product delivery for the enterprise. The organization works closely with Data & AI delivery teams across Business Technology Group (BTG – Business Unit) IT teams and data governance teams from LoB (Line of Business) Data offices, supporting the build of the AstraZeneca data products, including Data Mesh, analytical solutions and with a view to enterprise information architectures and thinking.
Our Enterprise Information Architecture Practice works as an internal consulting house specializing in data and information. We design the key aspects of the data world for AstraZeneca across our global customer businesses, offering critical services focused upon the ingestion, extraction, processing, transformation, transport, storage and representation of knowledge, analysis and modelling of our essential data and facts. We use leading thinking, processes, and methods to achieve enduring outcomes for projects and business-as-usual working, and lead thinking on enterprise-level, cross organizational information architecture, for example around the definition and delivery of Data Products and alignment with Data Mesh and Data Platforms across our businesses.
There are two exciting new roles as Information Architect, Data and Master Data Management Strategy, Enterprise Information Architecture (EIA), will support the development and structure of data frameworks, solutions and applications that are designed, and developed for enterprise and functional, tactical, purposes. This includes defining, demonstrating and extending standard AstraZeneca reference architectures, data models and design patterns.
In the framing of focus for these roles in the short to medium-term, one role will focus more on master data; the other on supporting our businesses in landing Data Mesh thinking (as distinct from Data Fabrics or Data Platforms) to empower and enable our data-centricity for our users.
This work may include:
- Focus - Defining, leading or supporting the definition and governance of enterprise Master Data Management architectures, strategies, designs, models and consolidating thinking and artefacts across one or more business units, one or more projects/programmes, which may be global or local, tactical or strategic, in scale
- Focus - Defining, leading or supporting the definition of enterprise Data Strategies which may include information and data regulatory or technical governances and Data Mesh, data innovation, business and technology platforms and ecosystems, enterprise architectures, standards, frameworks, governance policies standards and procedures, architectures, metadata, strategies, designs, models, methods/methodologies, business architectures, architecture and other patterns and consolidating thinking and artefacts across one or more business units, one or more projects/programmes which may be global or local, tactical or strategic, in scale
- Supporting the definition of reporting and analytics, data science, digital, and operational business use cases
- Supporting the definition of common ingestion, curation, data design, and consumption patterns
- Support the definition of modeling data structures for conform and consumption layers in line with DataOps
- Support the definition of Information architecture, models, ontologies, taxonomies standards and reusable designs
- Support the application and definition of data and information governance appropriate to the scope of work and in alignment with the ED&AI Data and Information Governance group and their various policies, standards, procedures and frameworks.
The work will also include managing all architectural alignment tasks during the lifecycle of a project and ensuring that they align with Information Standards and Enterprise Models in the Phase-end QA Checkpoints.
You will report to and work with the Head of Enterprise Information Architecture, and work closely with their team leaders and teams and with our ED&AIS and Enterprise Governance teams to manage and progress our projects, finances, operations, reporting, and assist with activities and relationships with our customers in the business, suppliers and vendors
Enterprise Information Architecture Accountabilities:
- Responsible for undertaking and delivering coherent strategic and tactical architectural thinking across information and data architectures, master data management, data strategies, and information and data governances
- Responsible for working within the Enterprise Data Architecture Framework of defining, extending, managing, and benchmarking projects against best practices, models (logical, physical, semantic), standards, frameworks, and the overall Blueprint as owned by the Head of Enterprise Information Architecture and their delegate
- Contributes to leaders of the overall Enterprise Data Strategy in partnership the AstraZeneca business functions, solution developments and functional project
- Accountable for the alignment and evolution of the AZ information Architecture, Data Models, Taxonomies, Glossaries and Ontologies and the application of those models in solution design and implementation
- Responsible for ensuring compliance and governing ongoing architecture and technology innovation
- Responsible for architecture and technology evangelization, architecture roadmap, and alignment
- Responsible for developing and performing architecture, leading practice, and technology education
- Responsible for Architectural Governance across architectural disciplines
- Responsible for undertaking various alignment activities with ED&AI’s Data and Information Governance (D&IG) group, working to ensure strategies, MDM and enterprise and tactical information architectures and designs align with Governances; proposing, supporting and assisting the D&IG group in developing, refining, reviewing and finalizing policies, standards, procedures and frameworks of governance
- Other work and accountabilities as defined from time to time by the Head of Enterprise Information Architecture.
Delivery Related Accountabilities:
- Responsible for selecting or defining the correct data architectures and patterns to fulfil traditional reporting (management information, business intelligence) and analytics, data science, digital, and operational business use cases. This includes:
- Providing project-level data architecture planning, design expertise and execution application on development projects, from technical designs and technology standards to Models and IA considerations.
- Based on business requirements that determine the different types of data structure types needed for a project such as raw, conform, and consumption data layers. Demonstrating the structure model types such as 3rd Normal Form, denormalized, and dimensionalized structures
- Providing project level support of Data Models, Metadata, Linage, Taxonomies, Ontologies and Information Architecture Leading practice and design
- Providing both strategic and tactical coherent architectural thinking in support of data and other strategies, enterprise data and information architectures and master data management
- Supports (or leads) in the development of Data Integration architecture and overall Data Integration design of a project
- Approves the various artifacts ensuring enforcement of standard enterprise data element names, abbreviations, characteristics, and domains during the lifecycle of a project
- Responsible for approving many of the project deliverables to ensure compliance and reuse within Architectural Standards as defined by the Head of Enterprise Information Architecture and Global Head of Enterprise Architecture.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED?
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent number of years of experience in a Computer Science or Data Management or Data Technology related field
- Significant experience in framing and delivering enterprise data platform/master data management architectural thinking, and its practical application
- Significant experience in framing, developing and delivering information and data strategies and critical thinking within a commercial or complex business environment
- Experience in defining and working with information and data regulatory governances
- The role holder will possess a blend of data/information architecture, analysis, and engineering skills
- Experience in planning, leading, collaborating and working as a member of a technical/architectural delivery team
- Significant coaching/mentoring experience and capability to support hard-working individuals in teams
- Experience in known industry IT architectural patterns and IT architecture ways of working/methodologies
- Understands Data Platforms concepts and cloud-based containerization strategies for hybrid cloud environments
- Understanding the appropriate data structure and technology based on business use case and completely familiar with data lifecycles
- Significant senior speaking and presentation skills appropriate to a commercial business environment
- Experience in the use of data modeling tools/technologies
- Post-graduate degree in MIS, Business Systems Analysis and Design, or Data Management
- Sustained experience in face to face client engagement and delivery of complex technology solutions for enterprise clients, likely garnered from working with a major international consulting house will be significantly beneficial for this role
- Significant experience in a data architect role with practical examples of designing and providing data engineering/architectural blueprints that have been pragmatically and actually implemented
- Experience in Agile data definition scrums
- Experience in the use of metadata cataloguing tools
- Understanding of, or familiarity with, Data Mesh approaches (as distinct from Data Fabric or Data Platform) will be highly valuable but is not a prerequisite for this role.
WHY JOIN US?
We’re a network of entrepreneurial self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. There’s a diversity of expertise in our Technology group that’s unique to AstraZeneca – it allows us to dive deep into
exploring new groundbreaking technology. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering world-class technology and data solutions. Our work unlocks the potential of science. We optimise and evolutionise AstraZeneca by maximising efficiencies and finding new ways to drive productivity. From automation to data simplification. We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. A place to be open and transparent – we speak up, think creatively and share ideas. Our diverse contributions help us to make better decisions. But we have a constant drive to innovate,
and an appreciation for high standards. It takes challenging the status quo to contribute in our ever-evolving environment. We love it here because put simply, we make a meaningful impact.
Technology at AstraZeneca is a home for purposeful disruptors!
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Competitive salary & benefits on offer.
Close Date: 18/06/2022
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.