Senior Clinical Information Science Specialist
Location: Cheshire East
Job Type: Full time
At AstraZeneca, with our portfolio, our pipeline and our people, we aim to revolutionize cancer care with our bold ambition to provide cures for cancer in every form. Our broad pipeline of next-generation medicines is focused principally in lung, breast, gastrointestinal, GU and hematological cancers. We follow the science to deliver life-changing treatments and increase the potential to save the lives of people around the world.
If you are passionate about science and data-driven decision making, explore the possibility of joining us as a Senior Clinical Information Science Specialist (SCISS) to shape our oncology portfolio trials via optimal use of clinical information .
The position sits within Oncology Information Practice department, a part of the Oncology Biometrics organisation. As part of a diverse global team you will support the drug development process by providing scientific information (literature, data analytics, digital visualizations) for late stage drug development. The Oncology Information Practice department also delivers information and data supporting the Oncology drug projects portfolio decisions via strategic information initiatives , applying knowledge of external environment and trends for internal information needs.
This role can be based in Macclesfield (UK).
What you’ll do
As an information expert you will contribute to delivery of information that clinical teams need to make decisions in the drug development process. You will use a variety of information sources such as scientific literature, competitive intelligence, internal and external clinical trial databases and techniques such as specialist information search and analysis, data visualization and benchmarking to extract and present key relevant information in a meaningful way. You will contribute to delivery of Information Practice scope in one or more drug projects in Late stage Oncology. You will collaborate with other Information Practice team members to drive value of information and data.
Your accountabilities will include:
- Support decision-making in clinical design, submission and interpretation by identifying, benchmarking, extracting and presenting back meaningful facts and data via internal and external competitor intelligence information sources
- Use techniques such as: text mining and data visualization extracting key relevant information enabling timely and objective clinical study design decision
- Maintain a repository of key data, bringing together key historical decisions for wide team to use and refer to
- Plan and work independently and take responsibility for specific deliveries within a drug project, and ensure high quality is built into deliverables
Essential for the role
To succeed in this opportunity, you will have a real passion for oncology, clinical data and information – in particular knowing what information you require, how to seek it out, and how to share it with the teams in an insightful way.You will be an excellent communicator, with a strong team focus who enjoys collaborating to achieve the best results.
In addition, you will also have:
- Masters or advanced degree (PhD, PharmD, MD) in Life Science.
- Experience in conducting literature and database searches.
- Understanding/Exposure of the pharmaceutical drug development process(setting could include, , but are not limited to: Clin Ops, Regulatory, Early development, medical affairs, Competitive/Regulatory Intelligence).
- Demonstrated ability to lead from skills perspective.
- Experience in the application of information and knowledge management in a clinical or scientific setting.
- Good written and verbal communication skills including presentation skills and proficiency in communicating complex information to a diverse audience.
- Good organizational skills with the ability to multitask, set priorities and follow a timeline.
- Great attention to detail.
Desirable for the role
- Experience in Oncology/Immuno-Oncology biology, or immunology or oncology related disciplines.
- Experience/ or understanding in use of NLP software for literature searches.
- Experience/or understanding in Machine Learning.
- An interest in coaching and developing more junior team members.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.