Global Procurement Manager, External Manufacturing Procurement
Location: Cheshire East, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
AstraZeneca is on a path to deliver at least fifteen new medicines before the end of the decade.
As a global business, we are playing our part in solving the biggest challenges of our time, from climate change to access to healthcare and disease prevention. We are harnessing the power of science and innovation and our global reach to make a positive impact on society, healthcare systems, and the environment. This starts with us, but matters to everyone, everywhere.
Committed to science-led innovation, our investment in new technologies is providing ground-breaking next generation therapies. External Manufacturing Procurement is at the forefront of establishing external manufacturing partners for these new technologies to enable the commercial launch of our new portfolio.
Reporting to the Associate Director of External Manufacturing Procurement Business Operations, the Global Procurement Manager (GPM) role will lead sourcing & procurement activities for Active Pharmaceutical Ingredient (API), and Formulation & Packaging (F&P) categories of external manufacturing, for both small molecule and biologics businesses. Will lead commercial procurement activities with assigned Suppliers, and for assigned Brands within a therapy area in support of Therapy Area Directors within the team.
In conjunction with other team members, develops long term strategies on two dimensions: for brands, working with Therapy Leads to drive end-to-end supply chain value, as well as full product lifecycle value; for technologies, developing API and F&P category strategies. Ultimately ensuring that the external supply base can support these strategies well into the future.
- Chipping in to implementation of Therapy Area and Category plans to ensure that the underpinning process improvement and procurement activities deliver the expected business value in accordance with the strategic plans
- Supporting strategic relationship management (internal business partner and supplier) - to ensure that Category Strategies are highly aligned to current and future Business needs and that the supply base is capable of supporting these strategies.
- Working alongside our Global Procurement Services (central procurement services organization) in advising on and driving procurement strategies to make decisions vital to purchase products and services in congruence with interpersonal objectives
- Performing Master Supply Agreements, and/or individual product contracts for assigned Suppliers or Brands.
- Supporting risk assessment processes for suppliers.
- Delivering on AZ Procurement Value Proposition
- Developing excellent relationships & influence with internal partners
- Develop positive relationships with vendors to achieve driven value and quality of services
- Support AZ’s industry-leading Sustainability agenda with suppliers
Required Skills & Knowledge
- Minimum 7 years in Procurement / Business Development roles
- Degree level or equivalent qualifications
- Excellent collaborator
- Customer Management
- Comfort with risk and ambiguous situations
- Sound understanding of Safety, Health and Environment
- Project management, organizational change and partnership skills
- Commercial, Procurement experience, negotiating large, sophisticated deals
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to influence others
- Analytical and Systems savvy, working with Procure-to-pay systems, SAP, Microsoft Suite
Desirable Skills & Knowledge
- Excellent proven understanding of the pharmaceutical industry
- Sustainability platform requirements of CDMOs
- Knowledge of the CDMO supply base across our technology areas
- Proven capability of leading and developing commercial partnerships of significant scale
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.