Associate Principal Data Engineer - St Pancras
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Associate Principal Data Engineer
Location: London St Pancras - 4 days in office and 1 day WFH
Competitive salary & benefits on offer.
Close Date: 26/03/2023
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Data Engineering? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact the data in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life-changing medicines? Then AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we believe in the potential of our people, and we’ll develop each individual beyond what they thought possible. We make the most of your skills and passion by actively supporting to see what you can achieve no matter where you start with us. As an Associate Principal Data Engineer, you will play a pivotal role in developing our data and analytics capabilities to make a positive impact on changing patients’ lives!
Our move to Pancras Square offers us the strongest possible platform to transform the lives of patients in the UK, as the country’s leading biopharmaceutical company. It will bring AstraZeneca UK closer to our customers, partners and stakeholders in the UK’s healthcare environment, as well as foster greater collaboration with the wider AstraZeneca footprint. As a growing pharmaceutical, our work here is interesting – building from scratch, working on a combination of products and modalities and securing a long-term future. It’s our patients that come first, every decision we make and action we take is centred around how we can better serve them. It’s why we are shaping patient care for the future, working along the whole experience to give hope to billions of lives across the world.
The Associate Principal Data Engineer is responsible for leading the design, development and operational support (in a DevOps delivery model) of the line of business and project-specific data applications.
We a diverse team of technical experts, we each bring something different to the table and utilise our experience and expertise to help the core functions of AstraZeneca run better—everything we do powers our business to change lives.
As an Associate Principal Data Engineer, you will
- Takes the leading role in the delivery of objectives as advised by the Team leader in the delivery of team objectives.
- Provide data and analytics solutions either through enterprise services or direct to AstraZeneca functions.
- Deliver robust, cost-effective, automated solutions to support frequently asked business questions/analytical demands.
- Responsible for implementing, and helping the development of, engineering standards, roadmaps and blueprints that maximises current technology platforms and adapts to new data technology, working closely with Data Architects and Solution Architects.
- Test and quality assess new data and analytics and DataOps solutions, to ensure they are fit for release: code assurance, Unit and System Integration Testing performance tuning, data testing, release management control and support of production processes including their SLAs.
- Innovate and test new technologies with relevance to data and analytics, including proof of technology/value assessments and business case development.
- Responsible for data and analytics solution evaluation activities and project estimates which contribute to the creation of business case and delivery plans.
- Suggest ontributions to the continued development of Data Engineering as a capability - training, tooling, ways of working, and operating model to optimise output and value.
- Ensure that business data and information assets are made available as data services and artefacts for consumption by the wider AstraZeneca enterprise to ensure consistency and strategic alignment of all data and business intelligence solutions.
- Selection and implementation of data management technologies and industry best practices, in alignment with the Enterprise Architecture and Technology Innovation functions.
- Maintain an ongoing professional development in data and analytics technologies (and methodologies) to keep AstraZeneca current with advancing and changing data technology landscape and innovation.
- Development and delivery of data management and business analytics practices and technology training programmes – (i.e. AstraZeneca Data Engineering University).
Essential for this role
- Bachelors Degree or equivalent number of years of experience in a Computer Science or Data Management related field
- Proven experience in a data engineering role with practical examples in developing using modern data platforms to build, deploy, and maintain data applications
- The role holder will possess a blend of design skills needed for Agile data development projects
- Proficiency or demonstratable experience, in data engineer techniques and testing methodologies
- Proficiency or demonstratable experience, in data development technologies
- Proficiency or demonstratable experience, with data and engineeringapplication design patterns and processes
Desirable for this role
- Experience with DevOps or DataOps concepts, preferable hands-on experience implementing continuous integration or highly automated end-to-end environments
- Experience implementing a microservices architecture
- Proven experience of leading and growing engineering teams
- Industry experience with data in large, complex data settings, consultancy or vendor experience
- Experience in reusing of metadata and prebuilt components from cataloguing tools
- Good commercial awareness and understanding of the external market for data-related technology and best practices
- Demonstrate initiative, strong customer orientation, and cross-cultural working
- Exposure to Data Pipelines (Ingest & Store, Data Preparation, Discover & Present, Insight & Experience)
WHY JOIN US?
We’re a network of entrepreneurial self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. There’s a diversity of expertise in our Technology group that’s unique to AstraZeneca – it allows us to dive deep into exploring new leading-edge technology. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering world-class technology and data solutions. Our work unlocks the potential of science.
We optimise and evolutionise AstraZeneca by maximising efficiencies and finding new ways to drive productivity. From automation to data simplification. We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. A place to be open and transparent – we speak up, think creatively and share ideas. Our diverse contributions help us to make better decisions. But we have a constant drive to innovate, and an appreciation for high standards. It takes challenging the status quo to add value in our ever-evolving environment. We love it here because put simply, we make a meaningful impact.
Technology at AstraZeneca is a home for purposeful disruptors!
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Inclusion & Diversity: https://careers.astrazeneca.com/inclusion-diversity
Career Site: https://careers.astrazeneca.com/
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.