Director of Compound Management
Job Type: Full time
Director Compound Management, Compound Synthesis and Management
Competitive salary & benefits
Be empowered to be innovative and creative where difference is valued
Join a place built on innovation and creativity. Where different views and perspectives are welcomed and valued. An environment that champions inclusion, and teams that reflect the diversity of the communities that we serve!
Are you an enthusiastic scientific leader with experience in the field of sample management, looking to develop yourself and a team of scientists? At AstraZeneca, we turn ideas into life changing medicines. Working here means thinking big and working together to deliver impact from our contributions that make the impossible a reality.
We have an exciting opportunity within our Discovery Sciences unit for a Director of Compound Management. This leadership role, in the Compound Synthesis and Management group, provides compound processing and distribution to AstraZeneca’s R&D portfolio of small molecule Hit Discovery projects. The position is based at our vibrant AstraZeneca R&D site in Cambridge, UK.
As our new Director of Compound Management, you will lead a broad team of scientists and scientific managers, delivering compounds to drug discovery projects, partners, and collaborators, maximising individual talents, and developing impactful teams. You’ll work within a first-class scientific environment to support drug discovery across each of AstraZeneca’s Therapeutic Areas. Your passion for scientific delivery and innovation, developing science and technology strategy will help to shape the future of the global Compound Management capability, and enable you to build trusting relationships with senior scientific colleagues and external partners.
We value our differences because we recognise that a team is at its most creative when it is made up of people who think differently from one another, in an environment where different views and perspectives are welcomed and valued. This is how we foster continuous innovation, learning and growth for us as individuals and for our patients.
What you’ll do:
Lead, develop and empower a team of scientists and managers to process and distribute compounds for project testing using automated, robotic, and digital technologies. Alongside this, your team will collaborate with Therapeutic Area, Discovery Sciences, and external groups to establish priorities, provide valuable insight to compound and data quality, processing, and supply chain, align expectations and communicate progress.
Our Director of Compound Management will also:
- Collaborate with Discovery Sciences disciplines and enabling functions to establish and lead science, technology, and strategy developments
- Lead partnerships for the supply of compounds to external Hit Discovery projects
- Develop yourself and your colleagues to maximise individual and team contributions
- Enhance the external science and technology reputation of AstraZeneca Compound Management through peer-reviewed publication, external presentation of innovative results and involvement in external scientific communities
We truly believe that everyone contributes with a unique set of competencies. Your curiosity and passion for personal development combined with support from colleagues and leaders, will ensure you maximise your skills, abilities, and contribution.
Essential skills and experience:
- Ph.D. or a B.Sc./M.Sc. Degree (or equivalent) in a related scientific discipline
- Expertise in sample management, with experience of advanced and emerging automated and digital technologies, and an understanding of drug discovery and the external environment
We believe that you will also demonstrate the following qualities and attributes:
- Engaging leadership with clarity of purpose, excellent communication skills and a passion for science and technology, project delivery and personal and team development
- Collaborative approach, with the skills and behaviours to develop trusted, interdisciplinary partnerships that ensure alignment of priorities and inspire the development of capabilities
Desirable skills and experience:
- Our preference is for a candidate with experience within a drug discovery unit or pharmaceutical company
- An active network of external contacts is highly desirable
Here, with us, you’ll be encouraged to grow and progress in your own way, building connections with the people around you and sharing in our sense of belonging. Your life at AstraZeneca is defined by you and guided by us. Ultimately, it’s more than a job. We know that our work impacts people with serious conditions, many of whom have no other alternatives. That’s what drives us – the potential to impact over one billion patients worldwide!
So, what’s next?
For more information about the position please contact Clive Green, Executive Director Compound Synthesis and Management at firstname.lastname@example.org or Karen Roberts, Director Compound Management at email@example.com
This role is open from Tuesday, 9th May 2023, and we encourage you to apply as soon as possible, but ahead of the scheduled closing date of Wednesday, 31st May 2023.
Where can I find out more?
Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.