Accelerate Pharmaceutical Development Platform Lead
Location: Cheshire East, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Are you experienced in, and passionate about Software Engineering? Consider applying your expertise to impact the delivery of innovative business solutions to build maximum competitive advantage in a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
At AstraZeneca, we put patients first and strive to meet their unmet needs worldwide. Working here means being daring, thinking big and working together to make the impossible a reality. If you are swift to action, confident to lead, willing to collaborate, and curious about what science can do, then you’re our kind of person.
In Early Science, we have highly skilled scientists in our labs who experiment and support complex drug projects. The environment is driven by scientific and technical innovation with a high level of diversity in workflows, data and vendors.
You will drive a common strategy for managing the IT estate including application lifecycle and new investments. Through this new platform you will drive commonalities between key business areas, and deliver faster, more efficient IT products for both small and large-scale initiatives.
This platform will accelerate digitization in two business areas, cutting across both complex synthetic modalities & biologics, that combined deliver AstraZeneca’s chemistry, manufacturing, and controls (CMC) which are crucial activities when developing new pharmaceutical products. CMC involves partnering with the Research and Operations functions to ensure potential new products have the required pharmaceutical properties that can be delivered to the patients, and secondly defining the manufacturing practices and product specifications that must be followed and met in order to ensure product safety and consistency between batches.
What you’ll do:
Early Science Engineering is a growing global development team which is migrating as close to as we can to a true DevOps model. The Accelerated Pharmaceutical Development Platform is a mixture of outstanding self-developed and Commercial Off the Shelf Software (COTS) solutions. The platform will support lab based scientists working globally across a range of modalities along with clinical product manufacture and supply. It is a silo'd environment and you have the challenge and chance to create the software experience to the user seamless with the strive to reduce the need for manual manipulation of data, allowing scientists to quickly gain insights from a wealth of data from multiple solutions.
- You'll lead a team of engineers, distributed across multiple locations to ensure a hard-working team that consistently and iteratively delivers high-impact, high-quality solutions
- You'll collaborate with Scientists to understand and estimate requirements and provide tailored, complete solutions that fit the needs by using technology that best fits the solution in a way that is operationally stable and sustainable. In our Platforms, if you build it you run it.
- You'll drive the technical direction of the platform ensuring we have the right technology to enable our labs and scientist to work efficiently and accurately and are able to cope with the fast scientific changes that occur
- Advocate and advance modern, agile software development practices and help develop and evangelize great engineering culture
- You'll build and support your teams of engineers through hiring, coaching, mentoring, feedback and hands-on career development
- You'll transform an estate of silo'd systems into an ecosystem that delivers great user experiences
Required Education and Skills:
We consider individuals in this role to be our top tier Engineers; this means you need to be capable of working in multiple spaces and are likely to be the most experienced and skilled engineer on the team. You will raise expectations within the whole team, solve sophisticated technical problems and work alongside complementary delivery platforms while aligning solutions with scientific and data strategies and target architecture. You should apply if:
- You have 8 years as a Software Developer, Architect, DevOps Engineer, Programmer, or equivalent
- You have a Bachelor's Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent
- You have life sciences experience, particularly within Research & Development Labs
- You are technically proficient and curious, with a passion to explore, iterate, fail, and learn.
You have previously worked as a software engineer at a senior level and have developed a team of hard-working software engineers responsible for multiple products, particularly a portfolio environment. (Technologies to include Java, .NET, C, as well as scripting languages like Python, VBA Script)
- You are customer-focused, success is measured by how well your team is delivering against requirements
- You know what good looks like for a hard-working team of engineers and know how to get there
- You are confident in leading Engineers on standard processes on technology or key architectural concepts as needed
- You understand the importance of sustainability and are comfortable to have trade off conversations around technical debt
- You are highly skilled in modern Devops culture / practices with proven experience of Cloud based environments
Why join us:
Join us at a crucial stage of our journey in becoming a digital and data-led enterprise. Make the impossible possible by building partnerships and ecosystems, creating new ways of working and driving scale and speed to deliver exponential growth. Focused and committed, and backed with the investment to succeed, we’re driving cross-company change to disrupt the entire industry.
SO, WHAT'S NEXT?
Are you up for an exciting challenge and ready for making a difference? If so, hit Apply today - we can't wait to hear from you!
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.