Associate Director, Analytics Data Preparation
Location: Cheshire East
Job Type: Full time
Associate Director, Analytics Data Preparation
Macclesfield UK, Gothenburg SWE, Warsaw, PL
Competitive salary and Benefits
Make a more meaningful impact to patients’ lives around the globe
Here you’ll have the chance to create a significant difference to patients’ lives. With science at its heart, this is the place where breakthroughs born in the lab become transformative medicines – for the world’s most sophisticated diseases.
Answer unmet medical needs by pioneering the next wave of science, focusing on outcomes and shaping the patient ecosystem. With our ground-breaking pipeline, the outlook is forward-thinking.
Be proud to be part of a place that has achieved so much yet is still moving forward.
Our inquisitive culture is uniquely open and collaborative. Here, you’ll be surrounded by curious minds from a diverse set of backgrounds who think differently about the world. A place that’s investing in the latest technology, data and innovative ways of working. Here you’ll be backed with everything you need to be at the forefront of digitising our organisation. Whether that’s defining the future of Pharma or upskilling yourself in our Digital and Data Academy.
About the role
Within the Data Office, you will be a key member of the Analytics Data Preparation team. This technical team is dedicated to preparing tailored datasets to-order to accelerate data science activities across AstraZeneca’s R&D portfolio.
In this senior technical position, you will lead creation of customized datasets and data assemblies for our scientists. We ask you to draw upon various blends of analytical, data-scientific and data development skills to assess data-scientist project objectives, understand the data and system landscape, then use this information to craft, generate and verify your outputs. We are looking for a specialist in data formatting wrangling, transformation and working with data toolkits to achieve results rapidly.
Furthermore, as the work will be for R&D customers we need a specialist to develop a good working understanding of the scientific applications of data, allowing you to partner with our data scientists and accelerate their work.
As no two projects will be the same, you will use technical, creative problem-solving and all-round good development practice skills to achieve successful outcomes, including supporting and mentoring other team members.
Furthermore, you will be encouraged to utilise your experience to help the team improve development practices, support an agile, value-focused culture and provide input into technical projects sought at improving data-science tools and infrastructure.
Your work within our team will enable data evidence and scientific innovation to proceed at pace and at scale within AstraZeneca, ultimately accelerating development of new, life-changing medicines for patients.
- Lead technical and data analysis work to establish requirements for new data preparation projects.
- Design data preparation workflows and define outputs (e.g., proposed data models and modes of access) and success criteria for projects.
- Request and setup appropriate analytical environments a to achieve data preparation and data-scientific outcomes.
- Perform data wrangling, cleaning, combining, transformation, cross-linkage etc. to achieve new datasets and data assemblies that enable specific data-scientific research workflows to be conducted to a high quality and in an accelerated manner.
- Generating reusable scripting and code notebooks for sharing, encouraging reuse and supporting smart working practices.
- Setting out data verification and testing plans, including UAT and user handover (data, code, information ‘readmes’)
- We require you draw on passion for innovative solutions to support the team lead in driving better business results, help enable entirely new data science paradigms and support operational efficiently.
- Actively encouraging, agile and outcomes-focused team approach.
- Partner with Standards Group and Early Study management colleagues to support portfolio and TA level data standards to enable the right balance of efficiency, flexibility and value in how data is coordinated and used.
- Knowledge and preferably experience of the Big-Data ecosystem. This might include: HDFS, Hadoop, Parquet, Spark, Spark streaming, HBase, HIVE, PIG, Presto, Sqoop, Mesos etc.
- Pharma or Healthcare experience.
- Excellent skills in one or multiple scripting and programming languages (Python, R, SQL etc)
- Good awareness of a range of data & analytics patterns including distributed computing (Hadoop/Spark), NoSQL, virtualization, data streaming, container technology (e.g., Docker), traditional warehousing.
- Experience of data analysis profiling, investigating, interpreting and detailing data requirements, e.g. data modelling techniques and hands on modelling experience.
- Solid grasp of applied mathematical, machine learning and AI techniques and workflows.
- Experience with RWD/RWE data sources and landscaping
- Experience of agile working practices, e.g., Scrum!
Why we love it
If your passion is science and you want to join a team that makes a bigger impact on patients’ lives, then apply now!
So, what’s next?
This role opens on the 25th May, and we encourage your application no later than the 8th June 2023.
Where can I find out more?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.