Head of Data Governance & Policy: Value Realisation
Location: Cheshire East, Gaithersburg, Maryland
Job Type: Full time
Head of Data Governance & Policy: Value Realisation
Do you have expertise in, and passion for, Data Governance? Would you like to apply your expertise to impact a company that follows the science and turns ideas into life changing medicines? If so, AstraZeneca might be the one for you!
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and unleash your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development.
ABOUT THE ROLE?
To be successful in data, AstraZeneca is establishing an Enterprise Data Office (EDO) to lead in data strategy, policy and standards. The Head of Data Governance & Policy for Value Realization is responsible for providing global leadership for range of Data Governance strategies to manage and protect the company’s data assets, so that they can be used with confidence to enhance value, while legal, ethical and security aspects are safeguarded. The role will provide strategic leadership across several of the following specialist areas: data governance strategy & operations, data standards management, data quality management, data policy, compliance & risk management.
The role will focus on the ‘Value’ elements of data governance across the AstraZeneca enterprise including, but not exclusively:
- Business Data strategy: How we document the as is map of data to ‘value use cases’ informing the strategy of how we organize data for optimal use to support AstraZeneca’s bold ambition
- Reference Data governance: how we manage and reuse standardized reference data sets
- Master Data governance: how we manage and reuse master data sets
- Data Product governance: how manage and track reuse and value of data assets across the organization
- KPI and Report governance: related to Data Product governance but how we govern key metrics in a standardized consistent way over time
- Data Quality governance: how we measure the integrity, accuracy, completeness, validity etc of data consistently
- Data Discovery governance: how we catalogue data for discovery
You will work closely with multiple data leadership roles across IT and the business including:
Enterprise Data Office leadership – critical data governance risk roles and information architecture Set Area Data Office leadership – ensuring enterprise standards and processes are enabled and supported across AstraZeneca functions. Architecture Leadership:– ensuring that the data standards are adopted in, and fit for purpose for, Solution and Enterprise architectures EDO Engineering Leadership – in ensuring tech & data solution builds can support the processes and standards being specified
The role will involve leading an initial team of ~8 enterprise data governance leaders largely aligned to the key data governance process associated with data value realization. The role holder will need to lead the development of standards, accountability frameworks, skills, metrics, governance processes, assurance processes and technology requirements to automate governance where possible.
The EDO will operate as part of the global IGNITE function which has the mandate to transform the way AstraZeneca manages and delivers Data, AI, digital solutions and architecture across both IT and the business.
Data Governance Strategy
- Accountable for the development of Global Data Governance strategy, goals and roadmap for Data Value Realisation
- Responsible for the co-creation of and, alignment with, a wider Data Governance Framework which balances both Risk and Value based governance (working with the Head of Data Governance & Policy for Risk).
- Manage and evolve the Business Data Strategy map and so define the global requirements for data value realisation governance, working with Enterprise Architecture
- Secure effective and transparent capture, prioritization and execution of partner needs.
- Strategic leadership and overall ownership of Data Governance forums, and coordination across SET forums.
- Oversight of, and active leadership based on, reporting on performance of data governance processes, standards, quality and compliance across SET areas.
Data Policy, Standards and Quality management
- Strategic leadership of design and implementation of global Data policies and standards that underpin Data Value Realisation in the company: e.g. Reference and Master Data Management, Data Product Management, etc.
- Define the key processes that are required for compliance to the data policies and standards, working with Data Offices to help standardise processes across functions / geographies
- Lead the Data Accountability Framework for Value Realisation so roles and accountabilities are clear and standardised across the organisation
- Set the metrics for process policy and standards compliance, working with the SET Area Data offices. Ensure any metrics are based on value realised aligned to key business outcomes.
- Establish the reporting and monitoring of those metrics enabling the organisation to measure maturity
- Direct the multi-functional development of Data Standards, including Master data, Reference data and Metadata.
- Secure multi-functional agreement on conceptual models, business glossary and ontologies across multiple partner interests.
- Development of Data Quality strategy for the organisation, and secure its execution across functions, to raise data quality: Direct the development of Data Quality guidelines and rules, and influence multi-functional adoption.
- Data Asset stewardship and guidelines
- Lead the creation of effective global procedures to ensure that each data asset is governed throughout its lifetime incorporating requirements such as accountability, stewardship, integrity, auditability and standardisation.
- Responsible for defining global data flow requirements to ensure data flows produced across the organisation are transparent, consistent, approved, stored and maintained.
- Influence key senior partners, to maintain alignment to data quality and governance strategy.
Leadership, Improvement and Change
- Definition and execution of mission, vision, strategy, goals, roadmap and metrics for the function.
- Strategic leadership of change and improvement of data literacy, culture and compliance, including multi-functional, senior leader engagements and projects.
- Responsible for devising strategies in order to raise data policy compliance levels across AstraZeneca, including communication campaigns and compulsory/optional training assignment to job families.
- Representation of AZ externally, and the promotion of AZ position and value proposition in this space
ESSENTIAL SKILLS & EXPERIENCE REQUIRED?
- Bachelors degree in Business Administration, Information/Data Science, Informatics, computer science, economics or related field – or equivalent number of years of experience.
- Significant and demonstrable experience and deep domain expertise within a relevant industry.
- In-depth and demonstrated knowledge of standards, data management and IT management regulations, policies and principles, applicable to the Pharma industry.
- Significant experience of Business/IT partnering for the implementation of Data Governance-related solutions.
- Proficient knowledge and experience with regulated and/or legal environment and requirements (e.g., GxP, data privacy and security).
- Demonstrated ability to lead in a diverse, distributed team, within and across functions.
- Demonstrated leadership capabilities and AZ values at appropriate target level.
- Demonstrated project leadership skills.
- Demonstrate good communication skills with the ability to influence others to achieve objectives
- Ability to lead and manage negotiations across a complex group, to a target outcome.
WHY JOIN US?
We’re a network of entrepreneurial self-starters who contribute to something far bigger. There’s a diversity of expertise in our Technology group that’s unique to AstraZeneca – it allows us to dive deep into
exploring new groundbreaking technology. We enable AstraZeneca to perform at its peak by delivering world-class technology and data solutions. Our work unlocks the potential of science. We optimise and evolutionise AstraZeneca by maximising efficiencies and finding new ways to drive productivity. From automation to data simplification. We’re not afraid to take ownership and run with it. Empowered with unrivalled freedom. A place to be open and transparent – we speak up, think creatively and share ideas. Our diverse contributions help us to make better decisions. But we have a constant drive to innovate,
and an appreciation for high standards. It takes challenging the status quo to contribute in our ever-evolving environment. We love it here because put simply, we make a meaningful impact.
Technology at AstraZeneca is a home for purposeful disruptors!
SO, WHAT’S NEXT?
Are you already imagining yourself joining our team? Good, because we’d love to hear from you! Click the link to apply and we’ll be in touch as soon as we can.
WHERE CAN I FIND OUT MORE?
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn https://www.linkedin.com/company/1603/
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/astrazenecacareers/
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/astrazeneca_careers/?hl=en
Competitive salary & benefits on offer.
Close Date: 27/6/2023
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorisation and employment eligibility verification requirements. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
AstraZeneca requires all US employees to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 but will consider requests for reasonable accommodations as required by applicable law.