Senior Director - Global Product Lead, Oncology R&D
Job Type: Full time
Senior Director - Global Product Lead, Oncology R&D
Location: This role is based at: Cambridge, UK
At AstraZeneca, we work together across global boundaries to make an impact and find answers to challenges. We do this with the utmost integrity even in the most difficult situations because we are committed to doing the right thing. We continuously forge partnerships that help pursue world-class medicines in new ways, combining our people’s outstanding skills with those of people from all over the globe!
We are committed to advancing the science of oncology to deliver life-changing medicines to patients most in need. With a combination-focused pipeline that exploits the power of six scientific platforms (Immuno-Oncology, Tumor Drivers and Resistance, DNA Damage Response, Antibody-drug Conjugates, Cell Therapy and Epigenetics) to help address unmet clinical needs in a host of cancers, we are motivated by a dedication to the scientific discovery and collaborative teamwork that will one day help eliminate cancer as a cause of death. We currently have nearly 100 Phase 1, 2, 3 and Lifecycle Management Oncology projects in our robust pipeline. We deliver the Research & Development for Oncology through our Oncology R&D Unit. This unit has responsibility for the value chain from discovery through to late-stage development, enabling rapid acceleration of promising early-stage assets and life-cycle management programs.
The Sr. Director/Global Product Lead (GPL) will have overall leadership and accountability of multiple global cross functional early global product teams across diverse biological mechanisms from optimization through Phase III investment decision across our scientific platforms. You will be accountable for the strategic leadership and execution for the product candidates (essentially the ‘CEO’ of the asset). You will have oncology clinical drug development experience, demonstrated leadership, and be able to critically evaluate the science, clinical data and competitive landscape that underlies these programs. You will have a strength in effectively communicate across a broad range of audiences and have an ability to clearly articulate project specific strategies as it relates to the overall oncology strategy.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leads global product teams from preclinical optimization through proof of concept leading to Phase III investment decisions. If appropriate, GPLs may have the opportunity to continue to lead assets through late development/ registration.
- Single point of accountability for the strategy, budget, timeline, and execution of a portfolio of pre-clinical and clinical stage therapeutic candidates.
- Create integrated product development plans which are aligned with business objectives and are differentiated from competitor products.
- Leads and communicates the project development strategy at governance meetings to secure funding and endorsement of the strategy.
- Leads the global project team to effectively manage/mitigate/communicate risk. Responsible for monitoring emerging data and pivot when deemed necessary.
- Responsible for maintaining a high degree of team effectiveness through collaboration, influence, and, as necessary, coaching and mentoring of cross-functional team members.
- Maintains relationships with external investigators to ensure projects are consistent with evolving clinical
Graduate degree such as a PhD or an MD/PhD is required
- Demonstrated success in developing oncology agents.
- Industry experience in drug development including experience in early phase non-clinical and/or clinical drug development and regulatory knowledge.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of the Oncology therapeutic area with experience in diverse biological mechanisms.
- Broad understanding of the evolving clinical landscape in oncology.
- Demonstrated experience leading and motivating teams in a highly matrixed environment.
- Proven record of cultivating and managing internal and external cross-functional collaborations.
- Demonstrated success in influencing colleagues and senior leaders in various departments.
- Must demonstrate high integrity.
Experience in the development of biologics is highly desirable.
ADC and/or IO (T cell engagers, immune redirecting agents, etc) development experience is highly desirable.
Due diligence experience - as GPLs are often required to participate in companywide initiatives.
At AstraZeneca when we see an opportunity for change, we seize it and make it happen, because any opportunity no matter how small, can be the start of something big. Delivering life-changing medicines is about being entrepreneurial - finding those moments and recognizing their potential. Join us on our journey of building a new kind of organization to reset expectations of what a bio-pharmaceutical company can be. This means we’re opening new ways to work, ground-breaking methods and bringing unexpected teams together. Interested? Come and join our journey!
So, what’s next
If you are passionate about the possibilities, don't hesitate in applying today
Where can I find out more...
Connect with our recruiter - Sam Hunter, on LinkedIn, for a confidential discussion or to find out more! https://www.linkedin.com/in/samhunter1/
Our Social Media, Follow AstraZeneca on LinkedIn
Follow AstraZeneca on Facebook
Follow AstraZeneca on Instagram
Next Steps – Apply today!
The successful candidate will have access to a flexible employee benefits fund, including holiday purchase and flexible time off, pension contributions, Share Save Plans, A performance recognition scheme and a competitive, generous remuneration package.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.