Senior Knowledge Graph Engineer
Job Type: Full time
AstraZeneca is a global, innovation-driven BioPharmaceutical business that focuses on the discovery, development and commercialisation of prescription medicines for some of the world’s most serious disease. But we’re more than one of the world’s leading pharmaceutical companies.
At AstraZeneca we’re dedicated to being a Great Place to Work. Where you are empowered to push the boundaries of science and ignite your entrepreneurial spirit. There’s no better place to make a difference to medicine, patients and society. An inclusive culture that champions diversity and collaboration. Always committed to lifelong learning, growth and development!
About the role
We are seeking an expert Knowledge Engineer with a strong focus on Labelled Property Graph (LPG) and proficiency in data engineering to join our dynamic competitive intelligence team at a leading global pharmaceutical company. The ideal candidate will have a background in computer science, data analytics, and LPG technologies such as Neo4j and Cypher. Ability to take on sophisticated problems, learn quickly, iterate, and persist towards a good solution. Must be highly skilled in data modelling and data transformation with proficient skills in Object Oriented Programming and record of following a strong culture on good engineering standards, coding practices, and ways of working. Fluency in English is crucial for this role.
- Apply your expertise in LPG and data engineering to design, develop, and maintain sophisticated knowledge-based systems and solutions that support our competitive intelligence initiatives.
- Collaborate with multi-functional teams and partners to understand business requirements, identify knowledge gaps, and define data-driven strategies to inform decision-making and drive business growth.
- Develop and implement advanced data engineering pipelines, including data ingestion, processing, storage, and analysis, ensuring the optimal performance, scalability, and reliability of our data infrastructure.
- Apply powerful computer science and data analytics techniques to derive valuable insights from large, sophisticated datasets, and translate these insights into useful intelligence for our business partners
- Apply your expertise in Neo4j and Cypher to continue developing and maintain existing LPG-based data models and graph databases, enabling efficient querying and analysis of complex data relationships.
- Actively contribute to the continuous improvement of our knowledge engineering processes, tools, and methodologies, fostering a culture of innovation and excellence within the team.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, data science, engineering, or a related field.
- Validated experience as a Knowledge Engineer, Data Engineer, or a similar role, with a strong focus on LPG and data engineering.
- Proficient in data engineering tools and technologies, such as Python, SQL, Spark, Hadoop, and ETL frameworks.
- Solid understanding of computer science fundamentals, including algorithms, data structures, and distributed computing.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and critical thinking skills, with a keen attention to detail.
- Deep understanding of LPG concepts, technologies, and best practices in heterogenous datasets and documented knowledge of technologies for the creation and storage of knowledge graphs (Neo4j, Neptune, or similar).
- Designing, developing, and deploying customised and scalable knowledge graph solutions or products with emphasis on graph data modelling, graph traversal, graph theory and graph analytics or graph AI.
- Deep knowledge in Graph Query Languages (Cypher, Gremlin, or any other major GQL).
- Data/Software Engineering proficiency with Object-Oriented Programming Languages (e.g., Java, Python, C++) and/or Dynamic Programming Languages (e.g., Python, Perl).
- Solid understanding of a range of database technologies including RDBMS, NoSQL.
Good to have skills and experience:
- Programming languages that combine object-oriented and functional programming (e.g., Scala).
- Experience with data analytics techniques, such as machine learning, statistical modelling, and data visualization.
- Object Graph Mapping libraries and/or Aspect Oriented Programming.
- Data engineering using modern data platforms to build, deploy, and maintain data applications.
- Application deployment technologies (containerised workflows, Kubernetes) and cloud provisioning tools (CloudFormation, Terraform). Familiarity with AWS would be advantageous.
- Web-services development and consumption (e.g., RESTFul, GraphQL).
- Graph visualization technologies and tools (e.g., Neo4j Bloom, SigmaJS, Gephi).
- Full text search and indexing (e.g., Solr/Lucene, Elastic Search).
- Testing frameworks.
In addition, candidates will be expected to demonstrate:
- Previous engagement with business partners to deliver successful Knowledge Graph projects.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills, with the ability to optimally collaborate with multi-functional teams and present sophisticated information to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Good written and verbal skills, fluent English.
- Be creative, collaborative, and product focused.
- Good at time and priority management with the ability to work in a challenging and multi-cultural international environment, as well as to work independently and collaboratively in a highly interdisciplinary environment.
Working with us, you will have the opportunity to make a tangible impact on our global competitive intelligence efforts, driving innovation and growth in a fast-paced, dynamic environment. If you are a passionate, results-driven individual with the expertise and determination to excel in this challenging role, we would love to hear from you. Apply now to join our team and help shape the future of the pharmaceutical industry.
AstraZeneca embraces diversity and equality of opportunity. We are committed to building an inclusive and diverse team representing all backgrounds, with as wide a range of perspectives as possible, and harnessing industry-leading skills. We believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be. We welcome and consider applications to join our team from all qualified candidates, regardless of their characteristics. We comply with all applicable laws and regulations on non-discrimination in employment (and recruitment), as well as work authorization and employment eligibility verification requirements.