Senior Software Engineer - Network Access in Distributed Systems
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
About Cisco Meraki
At Cisco Meraki, we know that technology can connect, empower, and drive us. Our mission is to simplify technology so that our customers can focus on what's most meaningful to them: their students, patients, customers, and businesses. We’re making networking technology that simply works for customers across the globe. Our innovative hardware solutions are managed and monitored through our cloud web applications.
Our networking hardware is extremely popular, with nearly 10 million devices deployed globally. This popularity leads to interesting engineering challenges. Our globally-distributed backend systems handle tens of billions of requests every day. We're looking for engineers to join us in solving the challenge of growing and evolving our existing services and our organization for the next level of scale and reliability.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Software Engineer (with demonstrated ability of senior technical delivery) to join the Network Access team, which is responsible for distributed systems supporting advanced authentication and network policy enforcement. You’ll collaborate to design and build new event driven, distributed systems to support the growth of well-used existing features and the development of new innovations for Meraki customers and their network users.
What you will do
- Design, develop, scale up backend services and infrastructure that enable internet access for millions of people and devices around the globe.
- Refactor our monolith and re-envision our services as we evolve our systems towards independent, containerized services.
- Collaborate with globally-distributed teams on projects that span numerous domains — networking, databases, web app development, systems
- Make an immediate and significant difference to the hundreds of millions of users who rely on our services for internet access every single day.
Project examples in the Network Access Team
- Refactoring frameworks/libraries and crafting an internal API with a simple, unified interface for other developers to work with access policies.
- Scaling up our backend services to handle 10x the load they can today. You could help us rethink the way we do sharding and load-balancing and make our infrastructure elastic.
- Ensuring data consistency across our full stack – 1) Meraki devices, 2) backend data services and 3) Meraki Dashboard web application. It’s like a large distributed storage system that supports our global customer base.
- Introducing comprehensive code quality metrics and standards as well as defining service level expectations for our services.
- You like thinking about whole systems — from trade-offs in design to edge cases and failure scenarios.
- Experience in some form of backend software development at scale: distributed systems, databases, platform engineering, data processing or similar.
- Have a focused, organized approach to design, implementation, testing, and quality.
- Know your way around at least one of the languages we use: Scala, Ruby, C/C++, Go. You embrace the idea of being language-agnostic.
- Experience with SQL and any RDBMS.
- Excellent communication skills (our team is distributed across several time zones).
Bonus points for
- Curiosity about general security and/or data privacy and/or zero-trust networks is a plus.
- You’re passionate about solving scalability challenges both on the organisational and technology levels.
- Personal projects or contributions to open-source.
- Mentorship or leadership experience.
Life at Cisco Meraki
At Meraki, we focus on building real products that delight our customers. We believe in fostering a positive culture by hiring, mentoring, and empowering inquisitive, helpful, humble people and providing opportunities for all employees to thrive. With the support of management, we constantly look within for ways to improve organizationally. We maintain a positive relationship with Cisco that gives us the stability and resources of a large company without sacrificing the atmosphere of a smaller one.
As a Cisco Meraki employee you can expect
- A supportive and fun environment and a team that values your contributions and helps you grow; regular career conversations.
- A lot of opportunities for professional and personal growth via employee-led groups and mentorship programs. Check out one of our groups — Women of Meraki on Twitter and Instagram.
- Meaningful and open feedback on a regular basis following Radical Candor.
- Paid time off to volunteer (5 days a year), and much more.
- A great in-office experience: delicious catered meals every day and fully-stocked kitchens and all you can eat snacks.
At Cisco Meraki, we’re challenging the status quo with the power of diversity, inclusion, and collaboration. When we connect different perspectives, we can imagine new possibilities, inspire innovation, and release the full potential of our people. We’re building an employee experience that includes appreciation, belonging, growth, and purpose for everyone.
Cisco is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, age, disability, veteran status, or any other legally protected basis. Cisco will consider for employment, on a case by case basis, qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Message to applicants applying to work in the U.S.: When available, the salary range posted for this position reflects the projected hiring range for new hire salaries in U.S. locations. For non-sales roles, the hiring ranges reflect base salary and do not include bonuses, equity, or benefits. Hiring ranges for sales positions include base and incentive target, and do not include equity or benefits. Individual pay is determined by the candidate's hiring location and additional factors, including but not limited to skillset, experience, and relevant education, certifications or training. Applicants may not be eligible for the full salary range based on their U.S. hiring location. The recruiter can share more details about compensation for the role in your location during the hiring process.