Job Type: Full time
About the job
The Technical and Crypto Assurance Officer as part of a small team, shares the responsibility and is accountable to the United Kingdom Defence Association (UKNDA) and Head of Establishment (HoE) for the effective receipt, supply, safe custody, whole-life accounting and control of all cryptographic items held on charge for all units under Dstl Porton Down.
This is a unique and interesting role. Working as a security specialist, who will provide a through life accounting system to ensure, and checks to assure, that Dstl’s most sensitive activities and holdings and world class science are compliant and secure, you will be providing a critical service in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
The Technical and Crypto Assurance Officer shares responsibility, but is personally accountable to the Head of Establishment (HoE) and United Kingdom National Distribution Agency (UKNDA), for the safe custody, registration, mustering, amendment, issue, safe handling and disposal of Cryptographic items held for all units under Dstl Porton Down.
The Technical and Crypto Assurance officer provides advice on risks to information (Confidentiality, Integrity and Availability (CIA)) relating to Crypto-use and shares the duties with the Custodian in respect of the Cryptographic material held on charge including local SLAs. Thus, the Custodian, and Officer, are the principal advisers on all aspects of Cryptographic security and the methods necessary to provide the correct level of protection relevant to their Cryptographic holdings.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female, ethnic minority and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
In this role you will:
- Maintain the Crypto account in respect of all Crypto material (physical & electronic) supplied by UKDNA held within the Dstl Porton Down area of responsibility to ensure continued compliance with Joint Service Publication (JSP) 490.
- Conduct whole-life accounting of Crypto assets for the Dstl business and effective delivery a range of service lines relating to Crypto services.
- Maintain an accurate and up to date system of central accounting for all cryptographic items issued to their location maintaining disposition records for all items issued. This requirement includes the annual mustering of cryptographic items to UKNDA for external audit.
- Undertake regular periodic Crypto auditing of Crypto holders.
- Authorise, re-certify annually, and debrief Crypto holders.
- Be thoroughly familiar with the minimum national and departmental baseline measures for the secure storage, handling, movement and routine destruction of cryptographic items.
- Understand the nature of Dstl’s business and delivery requirements to ensure procedures are in place to allow the smooth running of the Crypto requirements across the business.
- Proportional response and advice relating to Crypto procedures and incident management to all Crypto users.
- Strive to deliver an improved and cutting edge service to Dstl and its stakeholders by keeping in front of all technological advances and opportunities.
- Liaise confidently with all areas of Security within Dstl to mitigate risk and grow opportunities
We are looking for someone who has ability to demonstrate experience of:
- Maintaining an accurate asset accounting system using IT based tools.
- Proven experience in a customer facing environment and effective stakeholder engagement.
- Experience and understanding of working within a secure Ministry of Defence environment.
- A background in providing innovation in delivering Security assurance.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Managing a Quality Service
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
- Seeing the Big Picture
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
Flexible working: Working options include alternative working patterns, compressed hours, job shares and annualised hours
Flexible working hours: Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
Annual leave: A generous annual leave allowance starting at 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
Learning and Development: Encouragement and support on charterships, accreditations and access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Paid memberships with 2 relevant bodies/institutions. Employees have access to Civil Service Learning.
Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
The information pack can be found attached to the job specification on Civil Service Jobs.
We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work. These include the following:
Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
Race, Faith and Culture Network
Parents and Carer Support Network
Alternative Working Network
Gender Equality Network
New Starters Network
Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Selection process details
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team email@example.com and we will do all we can to support you.
Sifting will take place week commencing the 2nd October 2023 with interviews to be arranged from the w/c 23rd October 2023
Candidates will be asked to deliver a short presentation as part of this interview, details of this will provided in the invite to interview
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.