Job Type: Full time, Part time
About the job
Dstl (Defence Science and Technology Laboratory) works to maximise the impact of science and technology for the defence, security and prosperity of the United Kingdom.
In order to do this, we need people who can use their skills to innovate and develop technologies which give our country the winning-edge. We work in niche areas which are sensitive, operationally critical and international in nature.
As a commercial practitioner within the Commercial Function the successful candidate will be responsible for: sourcing, sales and contract management.
The role provides working level support for Divisions, operating as a supervised practitioner in their area of responsibility and can have delegations which include: sourcing, contract management, or sales.
If you have the skills, drive and ambition to work within the Civil Service, we would love to hear from you.
Commercial Recruitment & Retention Scheme (CRRS) allowance of 10% of salary (with £4k limit) currently payable to those holding a Commercial delegation. This is issued after successful professional accreditation of relevant level of CIPS (Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply), and successfully passing the Ministry Of Defence (MOD) licencing panel, and associated Commercial Professionalisation Programme (CPP) training.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
In this role you will:
- Working alongside and advising project teams on acquisition strategies for procurements.
- Leading competitive or single source procurements and sourcing activities, including development of invitations to tender or negotiate, including complex contracts requiring non-standard pricing conditions or bespoke terms and conditions.
- Provide contract management of higher value or complex contracts.
- Authorised to make changes to cost and schedule for such contracts, take enforcement steps as appropriate, and lead contractor performance management assessments.
- Provide delivery and oversight of commercial sales activity
- Acting as a competent local expert on sourcing, contract management and sales within Dstl Commercial function.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Has a passion to work in a fast paced Commercial environment.
- The skills to think ahead and plan own workload.
- Proven communications skills and ability to work in collaboration with colleagues, project staff and engage suppliers as part of contract negotiations.
- The ability to develop and seek out cost effective options.
- The ability to seek and implement opportunities for improved service delivery and efficiencies.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Making Effective Decisions
- Developing Self and Others
- Managing a Quality Service
- Delivering at Pace
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
- Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
- Flexible working: Full flexibility working options include alternative working patterns, compressed hours, job shares and annualised hours. Remote working may be available dependent on role.
- Flexible working hours: Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
- Annual leave: 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
- Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
- Learning and Development: Dstl encourages and supports charterships, accreditations and provides employees access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Dstl will pay for 2 memberships with relevant bodies/institutions. Employees also have access to Civil Service Learning.
- Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
- Commercial Recruitment & Retention Scheme (CRRS) allowance of 10% of salary (with £4k limit) currently payable to those holding a Commercial delegation. This is issued after successful professional accreditation of relevant level of CIPS (Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply), and successfully passing the MOD licencing panel, and associated Commercial Professionalisation Programme (CPP) training.
The information pack can be found attached to the job specification on Civil Service Jobs.
Our Diversity Networks
We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work. These include the following:
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Race, Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team email@example.com and we will do all we can to support you.
Sifting will be taking place shortly after the role has closed, with successful applicants being invited to attend either an online interview via MS Teams or a face to face interview at one of our Dstl sites.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.