Training and Simulation Senior / Principal Analyst
Job Type: Full time, Part time
About the job
- Are you passionate about delivering high impact research?
- Interested in using cutting edge tools and techniques?
- Enjoy working with and delivering through others?
- Want to help shape the way the next generation of Armed forces learn and undertake training activities?
- Want to make a difference to the way Defence and Security operates and protects the UK, and our armed forces, from real world threats, both at home and abroad?
We are looking for highly motivated individuals at the Analyst/Scientist, Senior Analyst/Scientist and Principal Analyst/Scientist
The three teams that have openings are the Future Training Team, the Simulation, Training and Research Software Team and the Novel Enablers for Simulation and Training Team. These work hand in hand together to provide a multidisciplinary approach to Military Training and Education, Innovative methods and tools, Future Operating Environments for simulation, Simulation Architectures and Novel training approaches such as Virtual, Augmented and Mixed Reality Technologies. In addition, we provide a cross cutting software engineering capability for research and simulation.
You will work on a dynamic collection of projects, contributing to a diverse team of specialists delivering critical scientific advice and solutions. You will support the development of vital defence capabilities, using creativity and innovation to solve real-world problems for real-world customers.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
- Work as part of a multidisciplinary team in the provision of timely, impartial, evidence-based advice to inform decisions on future defence and security capabilities, policies and strategies.
- Work with customers and the military to understand their needs & challenges and shape their requirements for advice.
- Provide technical advice and direction to industrial and academic partners and suppliers.
- Prepare and deliver technical reports and presentations to a range of technical and non-technical audiences.
- Explore and visualise data to present its story in a meaningful way to technical and non-technical audiences.
In addition as a Level 5 you will;
- Lead work strands and other staff, including maintaining output focus and technical quality.
- Support project teams to understand where your technical work can add new value.
- Work with Industry and Academia by partnering with them to ensure that the tasks we place remain on track, are of high quality and receive the benefit of internal expertise.
In addition as a level 6 you will;
- Provide a strategic view of the work we do
- Maintain an awareness of advances in science and technology, Defence and Security.
We are looking for someone who has:
- A desire to make a real difference/impact to the defence and security of the UK
- A logical and scientific approach to problem solving
- A passion to work with the best and brightest minds whether they are in Government, industry or academia
- The motivation to learn new skills, techniques and to continue their own professional development
- The ability to work with and deliver through others
- Strong technical partnering skills
- An understanding of training tools and techniques.
You will be required to work as a part of a team providing analytical advice to customers and stakeholders within the MOD and wider Government. You will be in control of your own research; responsible for designing, developing, and implementing technical methods and approaches that will provide impartial evidence-based solutions that will inform decision making. There will be opportunities to travel to military sites, attend various trials and undertake international travel.
In addition as a level 5
You will work in support of a Project Manager and Project Technical Authority who will be responsible for the overall delivery of the project, however you will be expected to lead individual work packages or aspects of the work and deliver these to a high standard of quality.
You will build strong relationships across Dstl and with our wider government partners, suppliers and customers, to understand, shape and develop their requirements and identify linkages to ensure the maximum exploitation of work.
In addition as a level 6 you will;
- Support and mentor junior team members and
- Support the Principal advisor and team leader to build and develop a strong capability for now and the future.
- Combine your knowledge and understanding of the learning ecosystem with your knowledge of learning technologies
This role has no line management responsibility or any financial authority.
Essential Technical Skills
- Degree in a mathematical, scientific, analytical or human science discipline
- Or Demonstrable, relevant experience in place of a degree qualification.
- Further qualifications or demonstrable, relevant experience in Operational Research / Operational Analysis / Scientific Research.
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate effectively with a diverse range of people
- Strong collaboration skills to enable effective working with a range of individuals from different technical backgrounds
- Ability to deliver high quality work in a timely manner
And in addition at level 5 and 6;
- Ability to enable and support others to deliver high quality work, while delivering yourself
- Ability to translate research findings into clear implications for clients
- Skills in any of the following technical areas:
o Simulation and modelling
o Immersive technologies
o Training methods
o Training tools
o Personalisation of learning
- Previous MOD, academic or Industry experience of Training and Simulation
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Seeing the Big Picture
We'll assess you against these technical skills during the selection process:
- Delivering a technical presentation
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
- Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
- Flexible working: Options include alternative working patterns such as; compressed hours (e.g. working a 4 day week/ 9 day fortnight), job shares and annualised hours (agreed number of hours per annum paid monthly i.e. working term-time only).
- Working hours: Flexibility around your working day (e.g. start time, finish time). Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
- Where you work: Depending on your role, blended working may be available including remote working to suit you and your team. This can be discussed at interview.
- Annual leave: 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
- Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
- Learning and Development: Dstl encourages and supports charterships, accreditations and provides employees access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Dstl will pay for 2 memberships with relevant bodies/institutions. Employees also have access to Civil Service Learning.
- Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
The information pack can be found attached to the job specification on Civil Service Jobs.
Our Diversity Networks
We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work. These include the following:
- Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
- Race, Faith and Culture Network
- Parents and Carer Support Network
- Alternative Working Network
- Gender Equality Network
- New Starters Network
- Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
As part of the interview please prepare a presentation (of no more than 10minutes in length) on a technical/scientific subject of your choosing. A presentation on a piece of work you've completed or a university dissertation would meet this requirement. Please be prepared for some questions on your presentation.
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team email@example.com and we will do all we can to support you.
We actively encourage and welcome applications from those who work alternative working patterns (part-time, job share, term-time only etc.), Please be prepared to discuss this if you are selected for interview. You can also discuss your working pattern with the recruiting line manager or talent acquisition adviser at the application stage if preferred.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.