Team Leader - Policy & Strategy Analysis Team X Div
Job Type: Full time
About the job
As Dstl’s first line of management, the primary purpose of the Team Leader (TL) is to provide leadership to the people in their team. This has a balance of leading/ managing people and technical leadership, ensuring the development and delivery of capability to meet current and future demand.
A Team Leader may also fulfil other roles as part of their technical contribution (typically up to 50%) but not to the detriment of their line management responsibilities.
The Policy and Strategy Analysis (PSA) Team provides independent research, analysis and advice to enable high-level, senior decision-makers, primarily in MOD Head Office, to make well-informed and evidence-based decisions concerning Defence and Security policy and strategy.
The Policy & Strategy Analysis (PSA) team is one of four teams in the Strategic and Operational Analysis (SOA) Group in Dstl’s Exploration Division. The Group uses a combination of operational research, strategy and policy analysis, and systems thinking skills, to identify and understand complex defence and security problems.
In this role you will:
- Develop & sustain capability (people, relationships, infrastructure, knowledge, licences to practice) to provide technical/scientific contribution to current and future projects across Dstl through effective use of the Team's resources/expertise. This includes:
o Maintaining awareness of current and future demand requirements
o Understanding and using the different resource options to ensure an appropriate mix of team members
o Understanding and developing capability effectively to align with Division Capability plans
o Building resilience through succession planning, including developing future leaders
- Have direct line management of a team of ca.20 Team Members including:
o Maintaining regular contact with Project Managers to enable effective management of performance and development of team members
o Allocating staff to tasks or projects based on requirements provided by Project Managers
o Ensuring that people have the necessary skills and competencies for the tasks assigned
o Setting SMART objectives and targets
o Reviewing performance, talent management, reward and recognition
o Coaching and supporting
o Offering advice on career development
- Ensure employees have knowledge of and conform to all safety and security and resilience requirements.
- Build staff engagement and create an environment which nurtures excellence through:
o setting the direction for team, including how the team fits with strategic aims
o creating a positive and inclusive working environment that aligns with Dstl Values, champions diversity and enables employees to excel
o communicating and owning difficult messages
o challenging and addressing poor performance
o recognising and highlighting high performance
o networking with other Team Leaders and stakeholders to share good practice and ensure a coherent approach
- Implement Dstl's policies and ensure compliance with the Management System
- Provide individual technical/professional contribution as agreed with Line Manager
o Allocation of employees to all leadership roles on projects (PM, PTA, LTR)
Appointment of Capability Advisers to a programme
- Direct Line Management of 10-15 Team Members
- Partnership working with Project Managers
- Could have some budgetary responsibilities
We are looking for someone who has:
- The ability to quickly develop good working relationships with a variety of people
- Good networking skills
- Tact and diplomacy in dealing with a wide range of issues/challenges
- Persistence to see things through to a conclusion
- Passion for developing capability and people
- The ability to lead through change
- The ability to communicate coherently and sensitively, explaining complex issues in a way that is easy to understand
- Emotional Intelligence, able to understand own and others’, reactions and motivations
- Able to handle conflicting priorities, successfully delivering to changing requirements
- Able to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously
- Effective leadership
- Management and/or supervision of people and tasks
- Excellent communication skills
- Sufficient technical and business management expertise to understand the tools, techniques and skills required within the Team and how to develop them
- Understanding of safety, security and resilience risks in order to assess/mitigate those relating to the specific team
- Understanding the business benefits of diversity and equality and how to create an inclusive working environment
- Commercial Awareness - understanding of the commercial implications of contracts and working practices
- Able to develop networks and use these to resolve issues/challenges
- Understanding of Dstl’s business model
- Understanding of the safety security and resilience risks of the programmes and projects that the Team support
- Achievement of or working towards formal business qualification (e.g. MBA, business or management-focussed degree)
- Awareness level or equivalent in Portfolio, Programme and Project Management
- Experience of providing effective leadership
- Experience of managing and/or supervising people
- Experience of successfully communicating difficult/complex messages
- Successful management and delivery of work
- Supervision of others; this may include tasking or guidance
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Communicating and Influencing
- Developing Self and Others
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing and Improving
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
Flexible working: Working options include alternative working patterns, compressed hours, job shares and annualised hours
Flexible working hours: Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
Annual leave: A generous annual leave allowance starting at 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
Learning and Development: Encouragement and support on charterships, accreditations and access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Paid memberships with 2 relevant bodies/institutions. Employees have access to Civil Service Learning.
Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
The information pack can be found attached to the job specification on Civil Service Jobs.
We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work. These include the following:
Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
Race, Faith and Culture Network
Parents and Carer Support Network
Alternative Working Network
Gender Equality Network
New Starters Network
Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Sift will be completed when the vacancy closes on the 26th November and interviews held week commencing 11th December
You will be required to deliver a 5-10 minute presentation at the beginning of the interview - "How will you empower your team to deliver innovative and impactful products and services to meet the current and future needs of our customers?"
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.