AI & Data Science Specialists
Job Type: Full time, Part time
About the job
Have you heard that Dstl has a Group focused on Artificial Intelligence and Data Systems based in Porton Down and Newcastle?
Are you interested in being part of a unique team in a domain which is in growing demand across Defence and Security?
We are looking for motivated individuals to undertake exciting data science and artificial intelligence related research to help enable Defence to turn data into information advantage and to accelerate the responsible adoption of artificial intelligence across Defence.
As an AI & Data Science Specialist you will lead on the delivery of research to address tough new challenges and work on our complex, classified and fascinating datasets you simply can’t access anywhere else.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female and ethnic minority applicants and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
The responsibilities will include:
We undertake data science and artificial intelligence related research to help enable Defence to turn data into information advantage and to accelerate the responsible and ethical adoption of artificial intelligence across Defence.
The Group portfolio includes research, application and experimentation related to AI and Data, as well as the critical enablers of Geospatial Science, interoperability, and Data and Knowledge Engineering.
We are looking for people who are passionate about bringing their background and thinking to guide the research of novel techniques and capabilities to work on a variety of exciting and challenging problems that, owing to their sensitivity, cannot be done elsewhere.
More specifically, at Level 4 Dstl Data Scientists will be:
- Ability to carry out non-routine work
- Deliver outputs to support project delivery
- Confident in dealing with customers
In addition to the above, at Level 5 Dstl Senior Data Scientists will be:
- Working on complex and non-routine problems, including design and development
- Confident in leading external engagement
- Overseeing the technical and safety aspects of projects and standards of work
Building on Level 5, at Level 6 Dstl Principal Data Scientists will:
- Autonomously guide and direct the work of colleagues, through technical leadership, in order to ensure delivery of high impact solutions.
- Provide rigorous technical review to ensure research is fit for purpose, innovative and of high quality.
- Inform across Dstl, MOD, UK Government, and the wider Defence and Security landscape, including potentially briefing senior officials to ensure robust decision-making.
We are looking for someone who has:
- The ability to develop positive and effective working relationships with internal colleagues and external stakeholders, partners and suppliers
- A desire to deliver world-class science and technology with the sole purpose of keeping the UK, our armed forces, security services, and our citizens, safe and secure.
- The ability to successfully manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- The ability to apply critical thinking and creative problem solving to a variety of data sets (e.g. text, imagery, geospatial, time-series), seeking out new, high-risk, high payoff technologies and techniques.
- A natural curiosity and independent drive to research, experiment and understand
- A strong focus on learning new skills and techniques in order to keep current and continue their own professional development.
- The ability to lead and work collaboratively to deliver innovative impactful results.
- A minimum 2:1 degree in a relevant numerical degree with working knowledge of mathematics and statistics e.g. data science, computer science, geospatial science, mathematics, statistics, physics, chemistry, engineering or related technical subject.
- Those who don’t necessarily meet the minimum degree specification, but who have related skills or experience, are also actively encouraged to apply.
- A higher degree (MSc or PhD) in a related subject is desirable.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Seeing the Big Picture
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
Flexible working: Working options include alternative working patterns, compressed hours, job shares and annualised hours
Flexible working hours: Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
Annual leave: A generous annual leave allowance starting at 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
Learning and Development: Encouragement and support on charterships, accreditations and access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Paid memberships with 2 relevant bodies/institutions. Employees have access to Civil Service Learning.
Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
The information pack can be found attached to the job specification on Civil Service Jobs.
We have a number of support networks to ensure all employees feel supported at work. These include the following:
Sexual Orientation and Gender Identity Network
Race, Faith and Culture Network
Parents and Carer Support Network
Alternative Working Network
Gender Equality Network
New Starters Network
Enabled Network, for people with visible and non-visible disabilities.
For further information about Dstl please check out our LinkedIn page
Things you need to know
Selection process details
We want you to have your best chance of success in our recruitment process, so If at any stage of the application process you would like help or assistance please contact the Dstl Recruitment Team email@example.com and we will do all we can to support you.
Sifting will be taking place shortly after the role has closed with successful applicants being invited to attend an interview either online via MS Teams or Face to Face at one of Dstl's sites.
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.