Human Resources Business Partner
Job Type: Full time, Part time
About the job
Are you passionate about delivering an impactful people strategy that enables organisational engagement and capability for UK Defence and Security?
As a critical member of our HRBP team at Dstl, you will shape, influence and enable Dstl’s business strategy, through effective, engaging and influential HR business partnering. Share people insights and employee voice themes with Hr experts & senior leaders to define best fit people strategies. Commission aligned and defined HR interventions and drive best practice across the employee lifecycle, developing organisation and people capabilities to achieve Dstl’s vision. Operate as a coach and trusted advisor to divisional leaders and their senior teams, to prioritise delivery of medium and long term business objectives. Lead and influence change placing people at the heart, to drive a culture that delivers organisation success, engagement and sustainability.
Dstl recognises the importance of diversity and inclusion as people from diverse backgrounds bring fresh ideas. We are committed to building an inclusive working environment in which each employee fulfils their potential and maximises their contribution.
We particularly welcome female, ethnic minority and those from the LGBTQI community, as they are under-represented within Dstl at these levels.
In this role you will be responsible for:
- Strategic Delivery - collaborate with senior leaders to deliver business strategy, through identifying, planning and prioritising strategic people requirements and opportunities, aligned to Dstl vision.
- Strategic Resourcing & Talent Planning - support senior leaders in organisational design, re-structuring and workforce planning to meet future business needs. Identify, commission and embed appropriate talent and resourcing activities that delivers capability requirements.
- Change Management - partner senior leaders in planning and implementation of business change activity, assess and manage people impact and working practices, and ensure organisational culture and values, support and enhance organisation performance, engagement and flexibility.
- Learning, Talent & Leadership Development – advise and commission L&D strategies and solutions to develop the skills, capabilities and behaviours to meet business deliverables. Provide feedback, challenge and coaching to senior managers to support personal development and enhancement of leadership capability.
- Working Environment & Engagement - partner senior leaders to drive a culture of trust and inclusivity, developing engaging interventions, minimising workplace conflict and risk, enabling a positive working environment to enhance engagement, wellbeing and performance.
- HR Delivery Enhancement – act as advocate for the business to influence continuous improvements to HR policy, process and service delivery, drive stronger HR awareness of business priorities so that HR interventions are relevant and impactful to enhance HR brand.
We are looking for someone who has:
- Ability to think and act strategically across the employee lifecycle, a broad knowledge and experience of all aspects of HR, and evidence of applying and project managing progressive HR and OD interventions to sustain superior business performance.
- Strong business insight and credibility, understands business performance drivers and risks, including ability to problem solve and enable high impact HR interventions, tailoring as appropriate to suit the context.
- Able to play a key role in championing the people aspects of managing change, operating as coach and mentor to senior leaders, constructively challenging where necessary.
- Strong team player who can build effective working relationships, trust and credibility with senior leaders through provision of insightful advice that influences and shapes thinking and application
As a leader in Defence you will help shape, role model and bring to life the ‘One Defence’ mindset that will enable us to deliver our vision and strategic objectives. Your leadership style must be inspiring, confident and empowering. Working at every level of our organisation to break down silos, unite teams and create a culture that is trusting, collaborative, innovative, diverse and inclusive. Enabling us to deliver with pace and agility through the skills, commitment and empowerment of our employees and military colleagues.
Our work in defence, security and intelligence requires our employees to be UK Nationals who are able to gain a high level of security clearance to undertake the projects we are involved in to protect us from security threats. For this reason, only UK Nationals will be able to apply for this role. If you are an international or dual-national candidate, and you think you have the skills we need, please consider applying to any of our government, security or defence partners.
This role will require full UK security clearance and you should have resided in the UK for the past 5 years. For some roles Developed Vetting will also be required, in this case you should have resided in the UK for the past 10 years.
We'll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
- Seeing the Big Picture
- Communicating and Influencing
- Working Together
- Making Effective Decisions
- Delivering at Pace
- Changing and Improving
Dstl’s full range of great benefits can be found in the information pack which includes:
Financial: An excellent pension scheme starting from 26% employer contribution (find out more here). In Year Rewarding Achievement bonuses and thank you vouchers. Rental deposit scheme and cycle to work scheme.
Flexible working: Options include alternative working patterns such as; compressed hours (e.g. working a 4 day week/ 9 day fortnight), job shares and annualised hours (agreed number of hours per annum paid monthly i.e. working term-time only).
Working hours: Flexibility around your working day (e.g. start time, finish time). Ability to bank hours in a 12 month reference period including the ability to accrue and use 3 days per calendar month.
Where you work: Depending on your role, blended working may be available including remote working to suit you and your team. This can be discussed at interview.
Annual leave: 25 days pro rata (rising to 30 after 5 years) plus 8 public holidays with the ability to buy/sell 5 additional days per annum.
Family: Maternity, adoption or shared parental leave of up to 26 weeks with full pay, an additional 13 weeks statutory pay and a further 13 weeks unpaid
Learning and Development: Dstl encourages and supports charterships, accreditations and provides employees access to fully funded apprenticeships up to level 7 (Masters Degree). Dstl will pay for 2 memberships with relevant bodies/institutions. Employees also have access to Civil Service Learning.
Facilities: Onsite parking, EV Charging points, restaurants, cafés and gyms.
Things you need to know
Selection process details
Sifting will take place on the 4th December 2023 with interviews to be arranged from the 13th December 2023
Feedback will only be provided if you attend an interview or assessment.
This job is not open to candidates who hold a dual nationality.