Job Type: Full time
The Edinburgh Airport Fire and Rescue Service plays a vital role in ensuring the safety of our airport.
They are a group of highly skilled and experienced firefighters, trained to the highest possible standard who provide emergency support to passengers, the airport community and staff at Edinburgh Airport. Working in the team is varied - from responding quickly to incidents on the airfield to first aid emergencies or simulating these scenarios in our dedicated training facility.
We’re looking for Trainee Fire Fighters to join this team, supporting us to maintain a fully effective Emergency Fire and Rescue Service. The Airport Fire Service is for individuals who are enthusiastic, willing to maximise their talent and sustain high performance. The training can be challenging, but being part of the team is the reward.
About the recruitment process
We are recruiting during 2024. Candidates who pass the initial screening will be invited to commence the recruitment process which will involve:
- Written assessment
- Practical assessment
- Physical assessment
- Face-to-face interview
- Pre-employment medical checks (subject to successful interview)
- Reference checks
If there are no positions immediately available, you will be placed on our hold list for 12 months and contacted when a position becomes available.
Applicants should be aware that due to the number of stages involved, the recruitment process is likely to take up to several months.
- Deal with emergency situations in accordance with specified regulations/procedures in order to save life and protect property
- Efficiently mobilise the resources required to respond to emergency incidents
- Build and sustain effective working relationships with internal and external partners to ensure an effective integrated response to emergency situations and promote a professional image of Edinburgh Airport
- Maintain required level of competencies as specified by the regulator in order to uphold the airport licence
- Maintain equipment for operational readiness to specified standards in order to meet internal and external audit requirements
- Prioritise health, safety and the environment at all times by adopting safe working practices for yourself, colleagues and customers. You’ll be responsible for both your own and team compliance with company health and safety policies
- Comply with all legal and statutory obligations applicable to this role
- Ensure that any systems and procedures introduced by the Company are effectively implemented and adhered to
- Actively participate in projects and carry out any other duties outside your standard remit to promote your own personal development, or as may be reasonably required by the Company
We’re looking for a highly motivated individual who will work well as part of a team. The successful candidate will be required to work flexible shifts, including weekends and bank holidays.
The following items are essential for the role of Trainee Firefighter:
- Due to LGV licensing, candidates must be minimum 18 years old
- Current valid full UK Driving Licence
- Able to meet Civil Aviation Authority (CAA)/Edinburgh Airport medical and physical standards
- Intermediate level of English, Maths and IT
The following additional items are desirable, but not essential for the role:
- Current First Aid and Defibrillator certificate
- First Person on Scene (FPOS) trained
- Rescue Trauma and Casualty Care (RTACC) or similar
- LGV licence (Class 2)
- Experience working as an Aviation/Airport Firefighter
- LGV licence (if not already held)
- Current First Aid and Defibrillator certificate (if not already held)
- CAA Rescue and Firefighting Services (RFFS) certificate of competence
- Pension scheme- employer contributions can be up to 7%
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Supporting your health and wellbeing- private healthcare after 1 years’ service, access to our Employee Assistance Programme and occupational health services
- Free car parking on site and when you go on holiday
- We offer a range of other benefits, find out more here
We are Edinburgh Airport, where Scotland meets the world. The success of the airport comes down to our people, and you can help us deliver even more big days for our passengers and colleagues. The development of your career is important to us, and we’ll support and encourage this every step of the way. As a business we’re driven by our values – they’re at the core of our culture and everything we do. We’re looking for people who will demonstrate these values day-in, day-out. So if this sounds like you, apply now and get ready for your career to take off.
Building a diverse workforce that is inclusive and accessible to all is a priority for our business. As part of this journey, we are proud to be the first UK airport to be endorsed by WORK180. They only recognise great employers for all women. Find out about our policies on our WORK180 employer page.
As a Disability Confident Leader, we are committed to ensuring applicants with a disability can participate fully in our recruitment process. Please let us know in your application form if you require any adjustments, such as parking arrangements or alternative methods of communication.