Head of Fire Strategy and Operations
Job Type: Full time
We have an exciting opportunity for a dynamic and forward-thinking leader to join our Airport Fire Service. As we approach a transformative period of change at Edinburgh Airport, we’re looking for a strategic thinker who will bring fresh ideas and modern methodologies to support our mission of: happy passengers, travelling safely, on-time.
The Edinburgh Airport Fire and Rescue Service plays a vital role in ensuring the safety of our airport. You will be leading a group of highly skilled and experienced firefighters, trained to the highest possible standard who provide emergency support to passengers, the airport community and staff at Edinburgh Airport.
You can find out more about the team here.
This senior leadership role has two key outputs: the delivery of the Airport Fire Strategy across all Edinburgh Airport business areas (including interaction with partner fire strategies); and the delivery of a safe and compliant fire service operation.
- Strategy: Lead the development and implementation of a new fire strategy. The fire strategy will align with the organisation's overall objectives and carve the way for all other operational practices and procedures.
- Cultural Development: Drive cultural shift with the team, fostering an environment that embraces group and personal development, inclusivity, and wellbeing best practice.
- Technical Expertise: The successful candidate will be Edinburgh Airport’s designated emergency planner and be the subject matter expert on fire safety and planning, including contributing to fire related EHSQ matters across the airport campus. You will be the key contact for relevant external agencies such as Scottish Fire and Rescue Service, Scottish Ambulance Service and auditors (Civil Aviation Authority).
- Compliance: You will be accountable for ensuring Edinburgh Airport meets all required legislative, regulatory and safety requirements within scope of the fire strategy, including training needs. Working with our Legal and Compliance team, you will also ensure the effective implementation of all CAA and DfT legislative changes and translate these into operational actions.
- Leadership: As a senior leader, you will work with operational teams to develop and deliver operating improvements with a focus on balancing productivity and service. You will also manage a team of five Station Managers, ensuring the right structure and resources are in place to deliver a safe and efficient fire operation.
- Logic-driven and a problem solver, with a strong understanding of operational and EHSQ systems and data.
- Deep understanding of operational environments, including ideally a minimum of 3 years’ experience in both operations and continuity/contingency planning.
- Experience in incident management.
- Degree level qualification in a relevant discipline or equivalent experience (desirable).
- Exemplary self-organisation skills, including the ability to self-direct, shape business priorities and lead through situational ambiguity.
- Excellent team-worker with the ability to work constructively in and between different teams.
- Aptitude for coaching and motivating others, challenging where necessary to change behaviours.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communication skills with ability to work with and influence at a senior level.
- Ability to filter information, see the bigger picture and determine where to focus.
If your experience looks slightly different to what we’ve listed here, we encourage you to still apply. You could add something we didn’t know we needed.
- Flexible working- this role is open to hybrid working. However due to the operational requirements of our team and to achieve the cultural development goals associated with this position, we encourage a predominantly on site presence
- Pension scheme- employer contributions can be up to 7%
- Annual discretionary bonus
- Supporting your health and wellbeing- private healthcare after 1 years’ service, access to our Employee Assistance Programme and occupational health services
- Free car parking on site and when you go on holiday
- We offer a range of other benefits, find out more here
We are Edinburgh Airport, where Scotland meets the world. The success of the airport comes down to our people, and you can help us deliver even more big days for our passengers and colleagues. The development of your career is important to us, and we’ll support and encourage this every step of the way. As a business we’re driven by our values – they’re at the core of our culture and everything we do. We’re looking for people who will demonstrate these values day-in, day-out. So if this sounds like you, apply now and get ready for your career to take off.
Building a diverse workforce that is inclusive and accessible to all is a priority for our business. As part of this journey, we are proud to be the first UK airport to be endorsed by WORK180. They only recognise great employers for all women. Find out about our policies on our WORK180 employer page.
As a Disability Confident Leader, we are committed to ensuring applicants with a disability can participate fully in our recruitment process. Please let us know in your application form if you require any adjustments, such as parking arrangements or alternative methods of communication.