Finance Business Partner - Commercial
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Our commitment to you, once you join our team, is to foster growth and provide developmental opportunities to ensure you reach your utmost potential.
Job Title: Finance Business Partner - Commercial
Reports to: Senior Finance Business Partner – Commercial
Operating Company: Freightliner Limited
Key Stakeholders: Commercial Organisation
Genesee & Wyoming:
Genesee & Wyoming (G&W) owns or leases 120 freight railroads worldwide that are organised into eight operating regions, locally managed with 8,000 employees serving 3,000 customers. G&W’s UK/Europe and Middle East Region companies include Freightliner; the UK’s largest rail maritime intermodal operator and second-largest freight rail provider, and Pentalver, a leading UK container logistics services provider.
G&W’s UK/Europe Region’s customer centric business model is based around our three core service platforms: Rail, Road and Terminals.
Rail: Freightliner is an established, leading provider of intermodal (containerised) and bulk freight haulage operating services across the entire UK rail network, moving over 770,000 maritime and domestic containers per year and offering tailor-made solutions for the movement of bulk freight including aggregates, oil and steel. The business also provides key infrastructure services to develop, maintain and support the wider UK rail network and train operating companies.
Road: The combined Pentalver/Freightliner road fleet of more than 350 tractor units and 900+ trailers provide a comprehensive road haulage service from depots across the UK.
Terminals: Freightliner and Pentalver’s strategically-placed owned and third-party inland container terminals offer full coverage of the UK. Alongside these, we move more than 1.2 million maritime containers annually between the deep-sea ports of Felixstowe, Southampton and London Gateway.
Pentalver terminals offer a diverse range of container services including container storage, repairs, conversions and sales as well as refrigeration services and cargo handling.
Purpose of the Role:
The role is to act as the key finance interface with the Commercial team and support this function through financial and strategic analysis.
Main duties and responsibilities:
The main duties and responsibilities for this role includes:
- Be the key finance interface with the Commercial Team, and act as the "go to" support for the Commercial General Managers
- Support the Commercial team in respect of management of their financial budgets and outlooks, including P&L, balance sheet balances and capital expenditure plans
- Develop in-depth knowledge of all key areas of the business and its underlying success drivers
- Lead the identification of key commercial risks and business development opportunities both on a structured and ad hoc basis
- Provide support to the business in respect to entering into, managing, renegotiating or terminating contracts
- Provide support to the business in respect of day to day management of revenue recognition
- Develop scenario models to deliver financial contingency planning in case of emergency or adverse conditions, including deviation planning
- Liaise closely with wider Rail finance team to ensure costing information used for pricing or profitability analysis is accurate and optimal
- Work in close partnership with the budget holders and regional FP&A team to support the production of accurate, timely and comprehensive annual budgets, quarterly re-forecasts and strategic plans as required.
- Support FP&A and the SSC teams, when business knowledge is relevant in the delivery of monthly presentation of financial performance, full year forecasts and budget variances including understanding financial opportunities and risk.
- Challenge current ways of working, driving efficiencies and cost savings wherever possible.
- Support the senior Finance Business Partner – Commercial, providing support to deliver the overall objectives of the Commercial team
Key job requirements:
- Qualified accountant (ACA, ACCA, CIMA or equivalent)
- Strong leadership capability in order to influence key financial insight to key stakeholders of the business
- Determined and assertive, prepared to get into the detail to understand the complex cost drivers of the business;
- Excellent analytical ability with a good attention to detail;
- The ability to analyse and present on complex matters, having implemented best practice across your career and worked in large complex businesses;
- Excellent presentational and communication skills;
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to build healthy working relationship with business stakeholders and interact effectively with all levels of staff across the UK/Europe region
- Highly effective organisational and time management skills with the ability to work autonomously, prioritising workload and meet deadlines;
- IT literate with advanced Microsoft skills with Power BI experience being advantageous;
- Attacks goals and objectives with drive, energy and enthusiasm;
- Proactive approach to work and uses own initiative to implement improvements;
- Embraces new challenges, is hands on and gets things done;
- Sets high standards of work for self, and consistently achieves these;
- Listens attentively to others’ perspectives and provides constructive feedback and coaching;
- Exhibits and lives the Group’s core values:
- Safety… we have an unconditional commitment to the well-being of our people and the safety of our operations
- Service… we have an absolute commitment to our customers based on a philosophy of mutual success
- Integrity… we possess the courage to do the right thing always
- Respect… we treat all people with dignity and fairness, fostering diversity and inclusion
- Transparency… we communicate openly to enable well-informed decision making
- Accountability… we set high standards and take full ownership of our results as an individual and a team
- Innovation… we embrace creativity, technology and new ideas
- Excellence… we have relentless focus on continuous improvement and excellence in all we do
We are looking for the most committed and reliable individuals who possess the knowledge, skills and experience needed for their roles.
In return we can offer competitive pay, excellent benefits, a competitive pension scheme and a rewarding career in an award-winning team