Wheel Lathe Operator
Job Type: Full time
Our commitment to you, once you join our team, is to foster growth and provide developmental opportunities to ensure you reach your utmost potential.
Wheel Lathe Operator
Freightliner Maintenance Ltd– Ipswich
Freightliner Maintenance has built a brand new wagon maintenance facility located near Ipswich train station. We are recruiting for a wheel lathe operator for our new wheel lathe. The successful applicant will be responsible for carrying out tyre turning events on locos, wagons and loose wheelsets and associated activities, forklift truck driving, crane, operating the shunt vehicle etc.
Responsibilities whilst working in the role will include:
- Adhering to health & safety and local safety policy requirements, and other safety and technical standards
- Ensuring Freightliner company engineering standards and procedures are understood, applied and followed.
- Tyre Turning locos, wagons and loose wheelsets in accordance with approved maintenance plans and standards.
- Ensuring all relevant records for tyre turning are correctly completed to company standards through our electronic Asset Management System and excel spreadsheets.
- Maintaining high standards of housekeeping whilst having an ability to identify and reduce hazards to ensure a clean and safe environment is maintained whilst carrying out your duties.
- Carry out all associated wheel lathe activities such as operating the forklift truck, cranes, and shunt vehicle.
- Carry basic preventive maintenance on the wheel lathe
- Being a good communicator.
- Commitment to adopting safe working practices
- An appreciation of mechanical maintenance activities and a willingness to learn.
- A background knowledge and experience of machining, working to tight tolerances and meticulous record keeping.
- Preferably apprentice trained or equivalent and have experience in mechanical maintenance practices
- A UK driving licence.
The successful applicant should be safety conscious and motivated to work safely to tight deadlines, a team member who can also work on their own unsupervised.
Please note it is planned that this post is shift work. It is also subject to standard pre-employment checks including employment references, medical, D&A screening and successful DBS background checks.
We are looking for the most committed and reliable individuals who possess the knowledge, skills and experience needed for their roles.
In return we can offer competitive pay, excellent benefits, a competitive pension scheme and a rewarding career in an award-winning team