Engineering Safety Specialist
Location: West Midlands
Job Type: Full time
Our commitment to you, once you join our team, is to foster growth and provide developmental opportunities to ensure you reach your utmost potential.
Job Title: Engineering Safety Specialist
Reports to: Head of Safety
Role Jurisdiction: UK
Key Stakeholders: Engineering Directors, Managers, Supervisors, Staff, Contractors and Suppliers, Safety and Sustainability Team
Purpose of the Role:
Joining a rapidly evolving organisation, you will support implementation of a robust evidence led and industry leading safety and sustainability strategy that will underpin and enable growth and expansion of our business.
You will also champion a programme that will place proportionate and effective safety at the heart of everything we do. You will support effective delivery through suppliers, service partners and internal functions, gathering and utilising high quality management information to drive ongoing continual improvement.
You will champion effective and proportionate management of safety, act as an expert adviser and critical friend to management and staff, and support colleagues in the safety and sustainability team to increase reach across the business. You will also represent the company with external stakeholders including industry groups, regulators, and customers.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Support development and delivery of the business strategy for safety and sustainability. Engage in project activity and coordinate local implementation.
- Collaborate with the management team to implement a business focussed safety plan to meet the needs of your allocated sites
- Support effective engagement on safety and sustainability topics, and promote just culture to drive effective learning and continual improvement
- Champion the safety agenda, and provide advice, support and guidance to internal stakeholders to ensure effective implementation of improvement plans and projects throughout the business.
- Support competence development through training, assessment, coaching and knowledge transfer to support effective risk management and good quality engagement
- Provide advice and support to ensure effective management, investigation and remediation of accidents, injuries and precursor incidents.
- Develop monthly reports including KPIs to illustrate key trends and inform strategy and planning within the business
- Support ongoing management and improvement of the business management systems to optimise implementation and effectiveness
- Develop skill in a specialist topic and act as subject matter expert, taking a lead on relevant issues across the business in support of colleagues
- Engage in assurance activity to drive the continual improvement cycle
- Maintain up to date knowledge of legislation and best practice relating to health and wellbeing, safety, security environmental protection and sustainability, and engage actively in CPD as prescribed by professional body
- Other tasks as required by the business
Key job requirements:
- Level 6 or 7 qualification in a relevant subject
- Membership of a relevant professional body
- Experience of supporting safety in a high hazard environment, ideally within the rail, transport, or logistics sector
- Excellent knowledge of mechanical engineering principles
- Good understanding of Lean management practices
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Excellent influencing skills and the ability to engage others in a shared objective
- The ability to produce clear and concise written documentation and to present technical detail in a concise, engaging and business focussed manner
- Ability to prioritise workload and use experience and initiative to engage internal and external stakeholders
- Willingness and ability to work flexibly and travel throughout the UK with occasional overnight stays
- Be competent in the use of computers including Microsoft 365 suite and relevant specialist software, as well as intranet, social media and other sharing applications
- Attacks tasks and objectives with drive, energy and enthusiasm;
- Rolls their sleeves up and gets involved in a wide variety of tasks and activities;
- Demonstrates a “can do” attitude and is seen as an ambassador for the Company;
- Proactive approach to work and uses own initiative to implement process improvements;
- Embraces new challenges and gets things done;
- Sets high standards of work for self and consistently achieves these;
- Seen as friendly and approachable, always willing to assist and get involved;
- Good team player;
- Exhibits and lives the Group’s core values.
We are looking for the most committed and reliable individuals who possess the knowledge, skills and experience needed for their roles.
In return we can offer competitive pay, excellent benefits, a competitive pension scheme and a rewarding career in an award-winning team