Trainee Train Drivers
GTR (Govia Thameslink Railway)
Location: Brighton and Hove, Greater London
Job Type: Full time
- Do you want a rewarding role that offers solid career prospects?
- Have you got excellent communication skills and a passion for people?
- Are you flexible, adaptable and willing to learn?
At Thameslink, Southern and Great Northern, we've modernised the way that we operate services for our passengers. We are be looking for enthusiastic individuals with great interpersonal skills to join our team of train drivers that deliver over 3600 journeys per day.
What's the job actually like?
- Learning – Be ready to hit the tracks (on your own!) within 18 months. Become an expert by undertaking structured classroom-based learning, state of the art simulator training and one-on-one driving lessons.
- Hours – 35 hours a week, 4 days a week. You'll know when your days off will be, so you can plan how work fits in with your family and other commitments.
- Customer Service - Have the opportunity to provide excellent customer service to thousands of passengers every day, keeping them updated and informed of their journey.
- Responsibility - Be responsible for the safety of our customers, helping them get to where they need to be - safely and on-time.
What's in it for me?
- Salary – The starting salary is £32,080 and will rise to a salary of £63,196 once qualified.
- Benefits – 24 days holiday per year, an excellent pension scheme, free travel across our networks and 75% discount off other train service providers.
- Career Development – We'll give you the support you need to progress your career and grow your skills.
- Health – We'll provide you with periodic health checks to ensure that you stay fit and healthy whilst working for us.
- Culture – Our team is incredibly diverse. Women and men from all walks of life drive our trains.
You can view the full position description here.
Hurry, applications close 17 July 2022
If you're positive, friendly and able to keep a level head whilst handling a range of different situations, this may be the career for you. Click below to apply!
Our recruitment process consists of several stages, starting with online tests through to a series of nationally recognised assessments.
GTR are an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age*
*Due to safety regulations, you must be aged 21 or over when you begin your training.
Note: As a Trainee Mainline Driver you will automatically be enrolled onto the national Train Driver Level 3 apprenticeship programme. The overall driver training course has been mapped into the train driver apprenticeship meaning the training you receive helps you become a qualified train driver but also achieves a nationally recognised apprenticeship. You do not require any previous qualifications, but as functional skills are part of the overall apprenticeship you will need to achieve English, Maths and ICT at level 2. You may be exempt from these if you already hold equivalent qualifications.
Want to find out more about this exciting opportunity?
Hear from some of our drivers: