Engineering Apprentice 2023
GTR (Govia Thameslink Railway)
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Not Specified
Are you ready to start a fulfilling career in engineering?
Interested in how things work, and what keeps the UK's largest train operating company running?
Want to earn while you learn?
Our people choose to work here because of what we can offer you and your career. We're investing in our people, ensuring that they have market leading skills. We're working closely with our communities to ensure that we're having a positive impact on the world around us. We run trains every day of the year and we need a great team to make that happen.
Our four-year engineering apprenticeship is a great chance to learn on the job, earning a real salary while you do (click here for key benefits). You'll gain a nationally recognised qualification with great career prospects.
In the depot, you'll learn a wide range of mechanical, electrical and electronic skills. You'll learn fault-finding, testing, maintenance and repair, all backed-up by college study to make sure that everything makes sense.
You'll join a group of apprentices starting at the same time and have their support throughout your apprenticeship. Your dedicated apprenticeship manager (and the rest of the engineering team) are supportive and friendly. The team work closely together, making sure that everyone is getting the most from their journey.
What we look for
We're not looking for previous knowledge or experience of engineering or the railway – just commitment, enthusiasm and a willingness to learn. To apply for an Advanced Apprenticeship, you will however need to:
- hold or expect to get grade 4 or above in GCSE Maths, English and Science (or equivalent)
- demonstrate strong communication skills and practical maths ability
- have an interest in how things work
- be able to travel to East Surrey College for study and to various locations on our network for work
- pass the required medical standards
GTR is committed to equal opportunities and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified candidates who are eligible to work in the UK.
Selection for these roles will commence in January 2023. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. Assessments for this role are expected to be completed by April 2023 although we reserve the right to close the role early should suitable applicants be found in advance of this date.
For more information about our Apprenticeships, please visit Apprenticeships
Ready to apply?
Need to find out a little bit more?
- Check out our podcast in this Clicking Apply episode, as we discuss everything about working in the rail sector, their apprenticeships and how GTR is doing their bit to ensure diversity and inclusiveness across the business.
- Have a look at some of our other videos; Hear from our Service Engineer, Katie or take a look around Brighton Lovers Walk or Selhurst
Ready to Apply?
- When completing the application form, if you don't yet have a National Insurance number, please type in AB 12 34 56 C.
- Before submitting your application, please ensure you review the job description and additional documents below. We would advise you to answer all the application questions with sufficient information. To be considered, we would recommend submitting answers between 300 and 800 words.
- Please provide examples that support your application taking into account the roles & responsibilities of this role. Pay attention to detail including your uploaded documents ensuring all information is clearly structured and double checked for spelling and grammatical errors.
- It also may worth asking a friend or family member to proof read your application before submission. All the best.