Duty Network Operations Manager
GTR (Govia Thameslink Railway)
Location: West Sussex
Job Type: Full time
Now recruiting for a Duty Network Operations Manager based at Three Bridges Rail Operating Centre in West Sussex.
(Please note this is a shift-based role, where you will be working on a rota with colleagues working earlies, lates and nights all days of the week including Bank Holidays. The longest run of booked shifts is 7 shifts, made up of 8- and 12-hour shifts, however this could be extended to 10, to cover for other colleagues leave etc, however this is then followed by several days off).
Are you someone who enjoys working in a fast-paced problem-solving environment? Are you systematic and thorough in your approach and able to prioritise your workload? Can you communicate quickly and clearly whilst influencing at all levels? Do you have great situational awareness and the ability to remain calm under pressure?
If you can answer yes to all the above, please read on.
Govia Thameslink Railway (GTR) is the largest Train Operating Company in the UK, operating four brands across London and the southeast of England. Our brands are Gatwick Express, Great Northern, Southern and Thameslink, together operating over 3,800 passenger trains a day completing over 1 million customer journeys.
Working in our control centre, the Duty Network Operations Manager (DNOM) role is challenging, offering an opportunity to play a critical part in the tactical and strategic delivery of our train service. Our unique geography and the high frequency of the service we operate requires an individual who can handle a fast paced, quickly changing environment.
We require an exceptional, inspirational and strong people leader with high levels of self-starting to meet this challenge, to proactively motivate and engage a specialised team to deliver targets and goals, with the ability to think ahead, prioritise tasks for themselves and the on-shift team, solve real time problems and plan for the next challenge just around the corner.
To become a member of our dynamic and diverse team of professionals, candidates will be invited to complete an initial online assessment, and those selected will be invited to a further in person assessment day and formal interview. Those successful will be either offered an immediate appointment or enter our talent pool.
The key responsibilities of a Duty Network Operations Manager are:
- To lead the on-shift team at the ROC to deliver the planned daily timetable across the four GTR service groups.
- Lead the tactical, immediate response to real time disruptive events on GTR trains, stations and Network Rail infrastructure ensuring all local, company and industry standards and processes are applied correctly.
- Work closely with on-shift colleagues in our engineering department to ensure the fleet of trains is maintained.
- Work closely with on-shift colleagues in our operations department to ensure best use is made of available traincrew.
- Work closely with all stakeholders to ensure our customers receive the best possible experience.
Reporting to the Head of Network Operations, the key challenges of the role include:
- Being responsible for directing the on-shift team to deliver the daily train service plan, taking ownership of issues affecting key service groups and implementing any required changes due to infrastructure, fleet and crew availability in line with standards, procedures and processes.
- Responsible for liaison and collaboration with Network Rail for the development and implementation of on the day, service recovery & very short-term train plans necessary for current train service operation.
- Working closely with Network Rail and other Train operating Company stakeholders to understand infrastructure restrictions and the consequential impact on train services.
- Ensuring that the on-shift team are developing and implementing alterations to the train service to maximise the use of the available network and ensuring the impact is kept to minimum and alternative routes are offered.
- Lead and manage our response to serious operational incidents, acting as the representative for GTR as appropriate, ensuring that the incident is contained and managed appropriately, and train services are restored to normal as quickly as possible.
- Continually improve the customer journey experience through collating and analysing data, identifying enhancements to process, service delivery, recovery and operational management.
- Communicating to stakeholders and liaising closely with the Customer Experience team to ensure that customers' needs and requirements are met during disruptive events.
- Represent GTR's interests at meetings or conference calls held to recover from incidents, delays or finalise arrangements for planned events.
You will need to possess, to have or be able to demonstrate:
- Inspirational leadership skills that deliver high levels of self-starting and independently delivered value across the Network Operations team.
- Able to multitask and plan proactively ahead whilst dealing with arising issues in an immediate and prompt timescale.
- To be an inspirational leader for your own team of people, nurturing, developing, training and continuously improving their performance through assessments, 1-2-1s and team development days.
- Able to strongly focus on delivery and achieving results in a high-pressure environment.
- The ability and willingness to learn and develop yourself with new skills, in a real time, very busy operational environment, working with colleagues and stakeholders to deliver our operational plans.
- Proven ability to engage stakeholders in productive and enduring relationships.
- Proven experience of working within a team to deliver joint goals and objectives.
- To be a strong leader, able to influence and persuade key stakeholders to deliver the best service and performance levels.
- Be innovative and an intelligent thinker with the ability to look ahead and proactively plan to avoid problems and challenges before they occur.
- Able to adhere to operational plans and processes and understand the impact of the implementation on service quality levels.
- Energy for continuous improvement – always striving to better processes and standards to deliver industry leading experiences to our customers.
- Excellent analytical and computer skills – using the Microsoft suite of software and well as the ability to quickly learn the bespoke rail industry systems, as required, to monitor, record and improve GTR performance.
Your benefits will include free unlimited travel on the GTR network, discounted travel on other train operators, an attractive pension scheme, generous annual leave and competitive salary, and great satisfaction knowing you have played a part in helping our customers have a great journey with us.