Global Research - Economic Research covering Turkey economy - Executive Director
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
J.P. Morgan's Corporate & Investment Bank is a global leader across banking, markets and investor services. The CIB's Research team provides award-winning, market-leading insight, delivered through a broad spectrum of research products and innovative platforms. Our leading Research Analysts strive to deliver through timely, insightful, analytical research with actionable ideas.
The EMEA EM Economics team is looking to hire a senior economist based in London. The role would suit a person looking for exposure to global macro developments, as well as specific coverage of the Turkey Economy and how it fits into the global economy. A thorough understanding of macroeconomic data, links between macro blocks and ability to use forecasting techniques, as well as practical application of research and analysis to real world situations is needed.
The candidate will also need to demonstrate a strong economic background, and have knowledge of political and economic developments relating to Turkey but also the MENA region. The role in Research is fast-paced, demanding and intellectually stimulating. We look for candidates who possess strong economics, quantitative, and business writing/communication skills. Intellectual curiosity, a strong work ethic and a collaborative attitude are necessary attributes in order to excel in this role.
The primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- In-depth analysis of macro/fundamental drivers of the Turkish economy;
- Creating and maintaining econometric models and analytical tools;
- Work closely with the entire EMEA EM team; liaise with strategists and other economists to formulate forecasts and views;
- Producing regular research and special reports analysing Turkey and also framing it in the regional and global context;
- Compiling chartbooks and templates for weekly/monthly/ad hoc publications;
- Interacting with external clients on customized requests as well as assisting internal sales and trading personnel.
We are looking for a highly motivated and hard-working individual who can demonstrate capability in the following:
- A Masters/PhD or equivalent, preferably in Economics/Finance.
- Strong quantitative skills with proven aptitude to analyse macro data and develop suitable econometric models for energy importers (but also exporters).
- Ability to work with spreadsheets and statistical programming languages/packages (Eviews, R, Python).
- Strong knowledge of regional political, economic and business trends and prospects.
- Experience within a Research role on sell-side or buy-side.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; attention to detail.
This role encompasses the performance of UK regulated activity. The successful candidate will therefore be subject to meeting UK regulatory requirements in the assessment of fitness, propriety, knowledge and competence (as assessed by the Firm) and (where appropriate) approval by the UK Financial Conduct Authority and/or the Prudential Regulation Authority to carry out such activities.