EMEA Regulatory Management - Regulatory Strategy Lead - Vice President
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
J.P. Morgan Chase
J.P. Morgan is a global leader in financial services, providing strategic advice and products to the world’s most prominent corporations, governments, wealthy individuals and institutional investors. Our first-class business in a first-class way approach to serving clients drives everything we do. We strive to build trusted, long-term partnerships to help our clients achieve their business objectives.
We recognize that our people are our strength and the diverse talents they bring to our global workforce are directly linked to our success. We are an equal opportunity employer and place a high value on diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of any protected attribute, including race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, marital or veteran status, pregnancy or disability, or any other basis protected under applicable law. In accordance with applicable law, we make reasonable accommodations for applicants’ and employees’ religious practices and beliefs, as well as any mental health or physical disability needs.
The EMEA Regulatory Management Team
The role will sit within the EMEA Regulatory Management team (part of the broader EMEA Compliance, Conduct and Operational Risk or CCOR function) responsible for the oversight and coordination of the firm’s engagement with UK, EU, other EMEA and global regulators. The EMEA Regulatory Management team is split across four locations currently – London, Frankfurt, Paris and Luxembourg and is a small but critical team within the EMEA CCOR function which offers great visibility of J.P. Morgan’s regional operations and the opportunity to interact with senior management and subject matter experts across the whole firm.
The Role and Key Responsibilities
- The role will report to an Executive Director in the London team responsible for managing UK regulatory relationships. This includes management of day-to-day dialogue with UK regulators, and management of engagements, regulatory responses and initiatives across UK and other EMEA locations, firmwide functions and lines of business as required.
- The role will require the individual to work broadly and effectively across the organization and across lines of business, focusing on several key areas, including:
- Management of regulatory interaction across the region, including coordination of regulatory meetings and other engagements, content and participation across relevant businesses and functions, as well as other regulatory requests.
- Contribution to senior management briefings on regulatory topics and priorities.
- Contribution and production of management information and pieces of analysis on specific regulatory themes as required.
- Ensuring that the firm’s system of record for managing regulatory engagement is kept up to date with relevant materials and information on engagements, and participating or leading on quality control work and other process improvement initiatives as necessary.
- Developing a good awareness of regulatory interactions in the region and support other team members in their interactions and relationship management with all relevant regulators.
- Developing a good understanding of regulatory priorities across the region and globally; and supporting management in the identification and proactive management of emerging risks, themes and requirements.
- The role will at times require acting as an exam manager or supporting the broader team in the management of regulatory examinations and internal stakeholder groups. Key aspects of this role are likely to be:
- Building and maintaining strong working relationships across the Regulatory Management team;
- Leading / supporting on the management of logistics for the smooth running of all types of regulatory engagements, including requests for information, setting up regulatory meetings as well as internal prep sessions with the correct internal attendees to ensure proper preparation for regulatory interactions;
- Overseeing the schedule of meetings that J.P. Morgan has with the relevant regulators and keeping comprehensive records of meetings / agreed actions / deliverables;
- Overseeing the delivery of information to the relevant regulator in a timely manner and tracking deliverables / requests for information. Reviewing the quality of regulatory submissions, working with internal subject matter experts and taking action where necessary; and
- Providing timely and relevant MI and updates on engagements to key internal stakeholders, including senior management.
Required Experience and Skills:
- Background and experience in a banking or risk management environment; or experience in financial services from a legal or regulatory perspective.
- Previous experience in the following would be beneficial: dealing with and maintaining relationships with UK, US or other European regulators within a large and complex financial services firm; experience working at a relevant regulator; previous experience managing regulatory examinations; running audits or participating in audits.
- Good knowledge of key financial services regulation. Ability to undertake analysis of regulations or key regulatory themes, interpret regulatory materials and provide succinct analysis is required.
- Good understanding of regulatory expectations for banks. Ability to consider the regulators’ position and understand, anticipate and react positively to their requirements and demands.
- Strong analytical skills and ability to understand and interpret requirements.
- Strong attention to detail, organizational skills and a commitment to ensuring that information provided to the firm’s regulators accurate, complete and to the highest standard.
- The ability to offer robust and constructive challenge, at all corporate title levels and across different disciplines – to become a trusted advisor to the business on exam management and regulatory relationship matters.
- Strong team player willing to work closely across and with multiple teams where inter-dependencies will be strong and ongoing. Can do attitude with a willingness to help others in the team and external to the team. Willingness to go beyond the day to day to deliver excellence.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, with the ability to translate complex regulatory issues into comprehensible messages for a range of audiences and levels.
- Strong project management skillset to ensure the bank is appropriately positioned in its preparation, governance, fieldwork, responses etc. Ability to think, plan and execute on complex projects simultaneously in an organized manner. Experience in using project management/ MIS systems and tools and data/ information management is beneficial.