Office of Legal Obligations - Assistant General Counsel - VP
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
The J.P. Morgan Chase Legal Department is responsible for providing legal services to the Corporation and is organized by practice groups that generally align with the Corporation’s lines of business and corporate staff areas. This structure encourages legal teams, businesses and staff areas to discuss legal, regulatory, and business developments effectively and in a timely manner.
About the Office of Legal Obligations.
The firm is seeking talented candidates for a position in the Legal Department as a Assistant General Counsel in the Office of Legal Obligations (OLO). OLO is a global firmwide programme responsible for developing and executing a sustainable infrastructure and process that (i) documents J.P. Morgan Chase’s obligations arising from material laws, regulations, and rules, and (ii) connects the obligations to policies, when applicable, as well as to procedures or other documentation that support compliance with those laws, regulations, and rules.
The overall OLO programme goal is to improve the control environment regarding the laws and regulations of the firm. The programme helps allow the firm to trace end-to-end connections between laws, regulations, rules, and policies and procedures.
For the programme, J.P. Morgan requires lawyers with a strong regulatory awareness and background who are able to understand the risks to the lines of business and the firm of non-compliance with laws, regulations, and rules. The successful candidate will join a global team of lawyers, project managers, and other professionals who are responsible for helping the Legal Department document J.P. Morgan’s material legal obligations and monitor for legal and regulatory changes that may impact the firm.
- Work closely with the rest of the Legal Department to develop and maintain the legal obligations for J.P. Morgan’s businesses in EMEA.
- Monitor, identify, and document changes in legal and regulatory developments for the EU and EU countries, as well as the UK.
- Provide written summaries of legal and regulatory developments to programme stakeholders, including the Legal Department, the business, and other corporate functions, and advise on such developments as needed.
- Research and analyse laws, regulations and rules to assess applicability and impact to J.P. Morgan.
- Collaborate with internal line of business lawyers to respond to questions from the business and corporate functions about the legal obligations.
- Instruct and liaise with external counsel.
- Conduct gap analyses on the completeness and accuracy of legal obligations.
- Develop subject matter expertise on products and services offered by J.P. Morgan.
- Assist with the development of policies, procedures and controls.
- Participate in legal and other firmwide projects.
- Lawyer qualified to practice in UK, France, Germany, Italy, Luxembourg, or Spain with relevant experience obtained in private practice or in-house at a financial institution.
- Experience in EU financial services regulation.
- Excellent legal research and writing skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to comprehensively and concisely summarise legal and regulatory developments for distribution to a non-legal audience.
- Ability to develop strong relationships with the business, corporate functions, and fellow legal and support professionals.
- Strong analytical and collaborative skills, and ability to work independently.
- Detail oriented with strong organizational and project management skills.
- Ability to manage competing priorities and to co-ordinate among a wide range of internal stakeholders.
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Qualified to practice law in multiple EU countries.
- Fluency in French, German, Italian, or Spanish.
- Experience with regulatory change monitoring.