Observability Cloud Engineering Lead
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
The Management Tools are a product line responsible for a number of operational tools built in the GTI (Global Technology Infrastructure) organization which underpin our cloud strategy and help our internal customers operate more resilient applications and infrastructure. These tools include firm-wide telemetry (Metrics, Logs, Alerts, Traces and Events), the dash-boarding capability used to visual this data and the infrastructure for transporting this data around the firm. We are a newly formed group and need to help the wider Global Technology community accelerate their move to public cloud by providing robust observability solutions for these internal customers.
The successful candidate will be a passionate, results-orientated technologist with a drive to work with people to create the right, modern solutions. Teamwork and collaboration are critical success factors for the role.
- Reporting to the groups’ Design Authority, you will leverage your engineering and design skills to create observability solutions on the public cloud that make use of native platform capabilities, enhanced with additional tooling where necessary or required by the group’s customers.
- You will lead a small team of engineers, running experiments and defining working solutions that can be consumed by other engineering teams.
- JPMC’s version of the public cloud will allow teams to operate within regulatory constraints and in a secure manner. Engineering observability solutions in this environment will require the successful candidate to draw upon both their knowledge of the public cloud, initially Amazon Web Services (AWS), and their experience building opinionated, pre-configured services through automation tooling that will allow solutions to operate in this opinionated architecture.
- You will navigate the rich set of vendors and open-source solutions in the observability domain, making informed recommendations across the most suitable products.
- Taking your understanding of the SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) mindset you will help design tools that meet the needs of this community. Understanding how to build it and run it is important.
- You will drive consistency across the tools developed by the group, applying architecture standards from the wider technology community and in turn helping to set standards for the domain.
- There are plenty of opportunities to connect with the wider engineering community at JPMC, for example presenting at internal conferences, taking part in Hackathons and talking to the Product Line’s SRE customers to help inform decision making.
- BS degree in Computer Science, or equivalent technical discipline
- Experience of motivating strong software development teams, and gaining their respect as a highly capable engineer
- Ability to lead the development of a technology strategy
- Experience of engaging with and managing a varied level of relationships - strong interpersonal and relationship management skills – able to engage with all levels of the organization and rapidly develop effective working relationships
- Hands-on software engineering experience of Java/Spring Boot and/or Python
- Experience with AWS. Areas of particular interest would be observability tooling: CloudWatch as well as tooling such as CloudTrails & X-Ray but also Identity and Access Management (IAM) on AWS.
- Experience with Terraform, particularly developing infrastructure as code solutions in an AWS environment
- Experience of presenting to senior technical and non-technical audiences
- Excellent communication and presentation skills (verbal and written)
- Strong technology background with experience of both development and support organizations, ideally within global financial institutions
- Strong team player - extensive experience of working in, influencing and leading global teams across multiple regions and countries, enabling a ‘one team’ culture and a positive working environment, respecting the cultures and capabilities across locations
- Excellent problem solving skills, ability to quickly broker solutions and resolve conflict situations
- Demonstrated experience in the Agile SDLC