Real Estate Controller - European Real Assets Group - Vice President
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
As a Controller you will work closely with an experienced group of professionals while being involved in all aspects of financial reporting, analysis, accounting, internal controls, and oversight related to Real Estate investments owned both directly and through partnerships.
You will oversight and assist with management of Real Estate Funds and their related SPV’s, develop and maintain a financial infrastructure that operates with the efficiency and flexibility to respond to the demands of a growth oriented business; ensure that responsibilities and deadlines are adhered to. You will monitor the quarterly accounting and financial reporting process for all investment products; continually improve the level and content of reporting and communication, overseeing the financial due diligence for acquisitions by working with appropriate individuals within the Real Assets Group, as well as third parties, sellers, JV partners, legal counsel, etc. You will broadly interact with independent external auditors, tax practitioners, deal and third party service providers, actively participate in the determination and review of valuations and ensure that local operator/partner accounting systems and records are properly controlled and periodically audited, develop and maintain relationships with all internal and external clients and consultants; Assist and coordinate responses to client and consultant requests. You will calculate and maintain performance data for individual assets and for the overall Funds (AIMR, IRRs); Review and approve fund level performance fees and accruals. You will eventually also prepare management analysis including asset, fund and business level budgeting and reporting. Project management: ability to manage and organize resources, conduct effective presentations, facilitate meetings, and gain consensus around issues.
Required qualifications, capabilities, and skills
- Understanding of investment structures, debt documents, partnership agreements, and purchase and sale agreements; Evaluate the accounting and reporting issues related to various deal structures and proposals.
- Ability to act decisively, form opinions, solve problems and make recommendations. Ability to cultivate strong relationships internally (within JPMAM Real Assets) and externally (within the broader JPMAM business). Experience in managing third party service provider and auditors.
- Computer literacy and strong knowledge of Excel
- Understanding of IFRS, US GAAP and Fair Market Value accounting.
- Chartered Accountant, ACCA, CPA or equivalent qualification.
Preferred qualifications, capabilities, and skills
- Relevant financial and accounting experience in the private equity or real estate industry with a proven track record of managing controllership, reporting and finance functions.
- Familiarity with currency implications and accounting treatment.
- Experience in open and closed-ended commingled funds, limited partnerships, opportunity funds, and operating company investments.
- Experience in both open and closed ended funds.
- Experience of Luxembourg SPV’s, their accounting, activities and legal regulations
- Familiarity with various EU country taxes and other issues impacting investments and fund level accounting.
- Current knowledge on industry accounting and tax structuring/trends/issues.
- Knowledge of Yardi a plus.