Lead Backend Platform Engineer (DevEx)- Nutmeg
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Nutmeg is the UK’s largest truly digital wealth manager, offering clarity and transparency to both seasoned and first-time investors as they seek to achieve their financial goals. Launched in September 2012, Nutmeg now manages over £4.5bn on behalf of over 200,000 clients who have sought the powerful combination of an easy-to-use, adaptable investment service and market-leading human advice. Nutmeg is a J.P. Morgan company offering investments and digital wealth management services to consumers, complementing Chase’s digital bank in the UK.
At a time when people are seeking the closer relationship with money that technology can provide, Nutmeg:
- Has a team of over 240 employees
- Offers award winning stocks and shares ISA, Junior ISAs and Lifetime ISAs, as well as a personal pensions and general investment accounts
- Provides financial planning and advice alongside our award winning client services team
Job in a nutshell:
As a Senior Backend Platform Engineer you will be working in a DevEx team alongside backend platform engineers and DevOps engineers. As a member of the DevEx team, you will collaborate with other individual contributors and key stakeholders to define and enable solutions to simplify and scale the Nutmeg platform and shared engineering tooling. You will closely cooperate with Architecture, Cloud Infrastructure and Backend engineering teams in delivering and improving Nutmeg engineering processes in a measurable way.
We are looking for someone with previous job experience as a Senior Engineer/Platform Engineer/DevEx Engineer and a strong passion for solving complex technical challenges.
- An understanding of developer workflows to help improve their experience through instrumentation, analysis, development and optimisation
- Solid understanding of CI/CD principles including experience with integrating and maintaining security tools in CI/CD pipelines
- A deep understanding of automating and improving development, build, testing and release processes
- Knowledge of implementing and recommending tuning, scaling, and preventive measures for developer platforms and application services
- Good knowledge of Java and Spring Boot including component architectures & best practices
- Good understanding of container schedulers (ideally K8S) and containerisation
- Understanding of Event Driven Architecture and Domain Driven Design
- Thorough grasp of observability and how best to integrate into engineering processes, including education of best practices
- Deep understanding of automated testing
- Explaining technical issues in a clear way to the business and other stakeholders
- Experience with cloud environments (ideally AWS) and infrastructure-as-code (ideally Terraform)
- Good understanding of APIs and REST
- Good understanding of Apache Kafka, Kafka Connect or Kafka Streams