DevOps Principal Engineer (Cloud Platform)
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
We are not your standard bank, we are an innovation hub. We are part of the team that launched Chase as a new UK bank in 2021, and are now starting on a new initiative with big ambitions. More details will be provided during the interview but for now we can enthusiastically say: It’s challenging, it’s high stakes, it’s fun!
Our team is at the heart of building this new venture. We have created a new organisation with diverse professionals that come from a wide set of skills, backgrounds and experiences, including top big tech companies, blockchain innovators and FinTech unicorns.
Team members have broad autonomy to collaborate and work in a cross-functional way and we value your opinion in every matter. Our inclusive culture is hugely important to us and we are looking for intellectually curious, compassionate people who would like to expand their skills whilst working on a new exciting venture for the firm. We are about bringing new products to market that solve real world problems for real life customers, not just innovation for the sake of innovation. We are human first; we love working with each other, and we need personal connections and in-person bonding. We find we are happier, more motivated and more productive this way. If this sounds like something that you would like to be a part of we'd encourage you to read on and apply.
What we do
- Structure software so that it is easy to understand, test and evolve.
- Build solutions that avoid single points of failure, using scalable architectural patterns.
- Develop secure code so that our customers and ourselves are protected from malicious actors.
- Promptly investigate and fix issues and ensure they do not resurface in the future.
- Ensure fully automate releases.
- See that our data is written and read in a way that's optimized for our needs.
- Keep an eye on performance, making sure we use the right approach to identify and solve problems.
- Ensure our systems are reliable and easy to operate.
- Keep us up to date by continuously updating our technologies and patterns.
- This is a hands-on role for a DevOps Engineer who wants to be part of a flat-structure organisation and influence the design & development of a green-field initiative.
- You will build and lead a team of DevOps/platform engineers, which will work on enabling product teams to build, test, deploy and run their containerised workloads
- You will design our cloud native architecture (accounts/projects, IAM hierarchies, networking, etc), following latest industry best practices, across multiple cloud providers (GCP, AWS and later Azure)
- You will shape the design and participate in the implementation of our GitHub-based SDLC
- You will engage and collaborate with engineers across the business to understand use-cases, and to define best-practices for use of the infrastructure platform
- You will provide leadership and guidance, acting as a subject matter expert and leading best practice techniques
- You will bring in the new, cutting-edge technologies and techniques, while driving their adoption, where appropriate
- You will define and work to implement tooling for infrastructure management, monitoring, and scalability
- You will design and deliver new features to streamline and improve the SDLC process
- You will interact with and manage relationships with various technology vendors, offering SaaS products
- You will automate various aspects of the SDLC, with the north star of a fully automated, no manual intervention solution
What we expect
- We’d like you to have extensive experience in a similar role, along with a few key technical skills:
- Extensive knowledge and hands-on experience with at least one cloud provider (GCP/AWS preferred)
- Extensive experience in setting up and managing container orchestration platforms (Kubernetes, or similar); knowledge of Kubernetes Operators is a bonus
- Very good knowledge of networking, especially in the context of cloud native applications
- Experience with at least 1 high-level programming language (Java, Python, etc)
- Experience with integrating CI/CD pipelines with version control systems (GitHub + GitHub actions, GitLab, etc.)
- Experience with setting up CICD pipelines for building and deploying microservice based applications, on container orchestration tools(Kubernetes preferred)
- Expertise in build and deploy tools such as (Jenkins, Harness, ArgoCD)
- Experience with infrastructure as code (Terraform, Ansible, Pulumi, Helm)
We’d also like you to have a few key personal skills. Every organisation has its own culture, and we want you to be successful in ours.
- A desire to teach others and share knowledge. We aren’t looking for hero developers, more for team players. We want you to coach other team members on coding practices, design principles, and implementation patterns
- Comfortable in uncharted waters. We are building something new. Things change quickly. We need you to learn technologies and patterns quickly
- Ability to see the long term. We don’t want you to sacrifice the future for the present. We want you to choose technologies and approaches based on the end goals.
- High standards. We are looking for people who expect personal performance and team performance to be nothing short of the best
- Clarity of thought. We operate quickly and efficiently, and we value people who are economical with their time and clear with their opinions
- Comfortable working within a geographically distributed team
Technologies we use
- We primarily use JVM based languages (Java/Kotlin) but we also have parts of the platform that use other languages as needed (Go, Python,etc.)
- We look to use Open source/SaaS when it makes sense and build ourselves when it doesn't
- We are entirely cloud native and want to build a truly multi-cloud solution
- We look at each problem independently and pick the right technology to solve it
- We aren’t afraid to try new things but we always remember that we are looking to build something to last, and we focus on solving real world problems for real life customers
How we look after you
Our compensation team pay close attention to the external market and endeavour to provide balanced and competitive offers, generally
consisting of a base salary and incentive compensation.
We prefer to be co-located but we understand that people need flexibility so we expect 2/3 days in office
27 days / year + bank holidays
Private Healthcare, Pension (matching up to 6% + 6% core contribution from JPMorgan), Gym, Theatre and Entertainment discounts and many
other flexible options.