Valuation Control Group - Commodities Valuation Controller – Senior Associate / Vice President
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
The Valuation Control Group (VCG) is an independent group within Finance whose primary responsibility is to ensure that the firm’s risk portfolios are fairly valued. The group sets independent pricing and valuation adjustments policies, executes & generates results, and then works with Trading to remediate and prevent issues on an ongoing basis. VCG also works to identify and control potential valuation risk concentrations, uncertainty in pricing inputs, and valuation model uncertainty.
The group is organized along business lines such as the Investment Bank and Consumer & Community Bank and works closely with Traders, CFOs, Market Risk, Product Control, Model Governance and Quantitative Research to ensure a complete understanding of business issues and the accurate execution of valuation policy. The group plays a critical role within the Firm and has exposure to senior management, Business heads, Regulators, and both internal and external audit.
You as part of VCG will cover a broad range of products across the entire liquidity spectrum. The group has presence in New York, London, Hong Kong, Buenos Aires, Bengaluru and Mumbai and comprises detail-oriented colleagues from a variety of backgrounds and disciplines, with a high quantitative aptitude and strong ability to apply sound judgement. With core valuation processes largely delivered through dedicated technology and quantitative research resources, you focus on insightful analysis leveraging multiple market data sources through advanced analytics platforms.
- Responsible for all aspects of the valuation control framework for the Commodities desk, including independent price verification, valuation and prudent valuation adjustments, valuation adjustment stress and fair value measurement.
- Implement new tools to enhance control efficiency and contribute to methodology enhancements
- Partner with Quantitative Research and Model Review Groups to assess limitations in trading models and implement compensating controls and model limitation adjustments.
- Collaborate with Front Office and key Finance, Technology and Risk partners providing value add analysis on month-end results, illiquid and concentrated valuation positions, revenue from new/complex and new products
- Partner or participate in projects within the group and the wider Finance organization together with Front Office, QR and Technology and participate in regulatory exams and address bank’s regulators inquiries
Required qualifications, capabilities and skills
- Good understanding and keen interest in financial markets, combined with strong analytical abilities and willingness to contribute as part of a high performing team.
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in financial industry or relevant experience. Commodities markets and products experience is preferred.
- Must have quantitative aptitude and keen interest in financial markets and products. Understanding of or training in financial products or derivatives pricing a plus
- Critical thinker with sound judgement and ability to challenge constructively
- Curious personality; inclusive; detail oriented; Always looking to improve.
- Strong communication skills and ability to synthesize complex subjects; Good at multi-tasking and prioritization
- Basic Microsoft Office & strong Excel skills are required
Preferred qualifications, capabilities and skills
- Candidates with quantitative backgrounds preferred
- Experience with Advanced Excel, PowerPoint, Visual Basic, automation and database skills a plus
- Knowledge of data science (e.g. Machine learning), analytics platform (e.g. Alteryx) and data visualization tool (e.g. Tableau) a plus