Public Cloud Observability Software Engineer III
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
Enable 10’000s of engineers at JPMC to gain insights into their apps by engineering observability tooling for the public cloud within a cohesive toolchain
We have an exciting and rewarding opportunity for you to take your software engineering career to the next level.
As a Software Engineer III at JPMorgan Chase, you serve as a seasoned member of an agile team to design and deliver trusted market-leading technology products in a secure, stable, and scalable way. You are responsible for carrying out critical technology solutions across multiple technical areas within various business functions in support of the firm’s business objectives.
- Engineering observability solutions for the public cloud will require the successful candidate to develop their knowledge of the major platforms, initially Amazon Web Services (AWS), and their experience building opinionated, pre-configured tools that can remove friction for other engineering teams.
- Build upon your existing understanding of the SRE (Site Reliability Engineering) mindset you will help design tools that meet the needs of this community. Understanding how to build it and run it is important.
- Executes software solutions, design, development, and technical troubleshooting with ability to think beyond routine or conventional approaches to build solutions or break down technical problems
- Produces architecture and design artifacts for complex applications while being accountable for ensuring design constraints are met by software code development
- Proactively identifies hidden problems and patterns in data and uses these insights to drive improvements to coding hygiene and system architecture
- Contributes to software engineering communities of practice and events that explore new and emerging technologies
- Adds to team culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, and respect
Required qualifications, capabilities, and skills
- The candidate will have a good all-round understanding of AWS fundamentals such as compute, networking, storage, security policies and how to build & deploy applications into that eco-system.
- Formal training or certification on software engineering concepts and several years applied experience
- Hands-on practical experience in system design, application development, testing, and operational stability
- Proficient in coding in one or more languages
- Overall knowledge of the Software Development Life Cycle
- Demonstrated knowledge of software applications and technical processes within a technical discipline (e.g., cloud, artificial intelligence, machine learning, mobile, etc.)
- A strong desire to focus on continuous learning and experience new technologies
Preferred qualifications, capabilities, and skills
- Exposure to cloud automation technologies such as Terraform
- Areas of particular interest would be observability tooling: CloudWatch as well as tooling such as CloudTrails, X-Ray and Identity and Access Management (IAM).
- Experience of presenting to other engineers on proposed designs and approaches
- Can demonstrate how to build secure applications, using tools to identify and remediate vulnerabilities and use modern techniques to control access to applications and APIs