Environmental & Social Risk - Vice President
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
As part of the firm’s Risk Management and Compliance function you are at the center of keeping JPMorgan Chase strong and resilient. Environmental and Social (E&S) Risk is responsible for developing and implementing the firm’s approach to E&S risk matters. E&S Risk provide oversight of the firm’s lines of business including the processes that support consistent identification, escalation, management and monitoring of E&S risk issues.
In this role, your primary mandate is to evaluate relevant transactions against the firm’s E&S Risk Policy requirements and to provide effective challenge to the lines of business on E&S matters. Financial products covered includes but is not limited to equity and debt underwriting, loans / credit facilities and some mergers and acquisitions activity. Sector coverage includes but is not limited to mining, oil and gas, agriculture, forestry & pulp and paper.
You will be responsible for assessing transactions and leading strategic research initiatives with support from the rest of the team. If you are a self-starter, able to articulate your thoughts clearly and have excellent attention to detail, this is the role for you as you will be interfacing with a variety of internal counterparts across the firm as well as with clients. The role may involve limited travel and is an excellent opportunity to gain exposure to a broad spectrum of industries across multiple asset classes and geographies along with the following responsibilities.
- Undertake enhanced E&S risk due diligence on clients and transactions (live and retrospectively)
- Oversee and challenge the lines of business on E&S risk matters
- Monitoring of, and participation in, responding to global E&S related regulations (existing and evolving)
- Support / lead training efforts within the firm on E&S risk matters
- Developing and driving research on a range of E&S issues and thematic topics that affect the firm’s clients e.g. human rights, biodiversity, supply chain issues etc.
- Engage with other functions across the firm on E&S risk matters e.g. Corporate Responsibility, Compliance, Controls, other risk functions etc
- Participation in preparation of external E&S risk related disclosures
Required qualifications, capabilities and skills
- Substantial experience in a relevant E&S risk and regulations / sustainability role ideally with a focus on human rights or biodiversity related topics
- University degree in a relevant field (e.g. environmental studies, sustainability, geography, development economics, finance)
- Working knowledge of the Equator Principles and IFC Performance Standards and other relevant banking and corporate sustainability initiatives
- Deep understanding and working knowledge of E&S risks and operating practices across a range of sectors and geographies
- Robust understanding of banking products and decision making processes
- Strong client and commercial focus
- Excellent analytical (proficient in Excel, large datasets and other third party sources) interpersonal and presentation skills
Preferred qualifications, capabilities and skills
- Experience in sectors such as oil and gas, mining, and / or agriculture
- Working knowledge of third party E&S tools (Sutainalytics, RepRisk, etc)
- Fluency in another language (preferably Spanish or Portuguese)
- Familiarity with sustainability related products (e.g. Sustainability Linked Loans, Green Bonds, etc)