2024 Machine Learning Center of Excellence Summer Associate - NLP, Speech & Recommender Systems Internship – (6 months)
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
The Machine Learning Center of Excellence (MLCOE) is a world-class machine learning team which continually advances state-of-the-art methods to solve a wide range of real-world financial problems using the company’s vast and unique datasets.
Strategically positioned in the Chief Technology Office, our work spans across all of J.P. Morgan’s lines of business including Corporate & Investment Banking, Asset Wealth Management, Consumer & Community Banking, and through every part of the organization from front office sales and trading, to operations, technology, finance and more. With this unparalleled access to the firm, this role offers a unique opportunity to explore novel and complex challenges that could profoundly transform how the firm operates.
The successful candidate will apply sophisticated machine learning methods to a wide variety of complex domains within natural language processing, large language models, speech recognition and understanding, reinforcement learning, and recommendation systems. The candidate must excel in working in a highly collaborative environment with their MLCOE mentors, business experts and technologists in order to conduct independent research and help deliver solutions to the business. The candidate must have a strong passion for machine learning, solid expertise in deep learning with hands-on implementation experience, and invest independent time towards learning, researching, and experimenting with innovations in the field. Learn more about our MLCOE team at jpmorgan.com/mlcoe.
What to expect
Our Summer Associate Internship Program begins in June, depending on your academic calendar. Your professional growth and development will be supported throughout the internship program via project work related to your academic and professional interests, mentorship, an engaging speaker series with our senior leaders and more. Your project will have direct impact on JPMorgan’s businesses, will be integrated into our product pipelines, or be part of published research in top AI/ML conferences. Full-time employment offers may be extended upon successful completion of the program within our hybrid work model.
We are looking for innovative problem-solvers with a passion for developing solutions that support our global business.
Key qualifications include:
- Enrolled in a PhD or MS in a quantitative discipline, e.g., Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Operations Research, Optimization, Data Science, or related fields, or equivalent research or industry experience,
- Expected graduation date of December 2024 through August 2025
- Solid background in NLP, large language models, speech recognition and modelling, or personalization/recommendation. Familiarity with state-of-the-art practice in these domains
- Proficient in Python, and experience with machine learning and deep learning toolkits (e.g., TensorFlow, PyTorch, NumPy, Scikit-Learn, Pandas)
- Scientific thinking, ability to design experiments and training frameworks, and to outline and evaluate intrinsic and extrinsic metrics for model performance aligned with business goals
- Solid written and spoken communication to effectively communicate technical concepts and results to both technical, and business audiences
- Curious, hardworking, detail-oriented and motivated by complex analytical problems
- Ability to work both independently and in highly collaborative team environments
- Strong background in Mathematics and Statistics
- Familiarity with the financial services industries
- Published research in areas of natural language processing, deep learning, or reinforcement learning at a major conference or journal
- Ability to develop and debug production-quality code
- Familiarity with continuous integration models and unit test development
- Published research in areas of natural language processing, speech recognition, reinforcement learning, or deep learning at a major conference or journal
We will review summer internship applications as they are received and extend offers on a rolling basis. We strongly encourage that you apply early as programs will close as positions are filled.
JPMorgan Chase is committed to creating an inclusive work environment that respects all people for their unique skills, backgrounds and professional experiences. We strive to hire qualified, diverse candidates, and we will provide reasonable accommodations for known disabilities.
Visit jpmorganchase.com/careers for upcoming events, career advice, our locations and more.