Principal Software Engineer - Discovery
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
We are not your standard bank, we are an innovation hub. We are part of the team that launched Chase as a new UK bank in 2021, and are now starting on a new initiative with big ambitions. More details will be provided during the interview but for now we can enthusiastically say: It’s challenging, it’s high stakes, it’s fun!
Team members have autonomy to collaborate and work in a cross-functional way. We value your opinion in every matter. Our inclusive culture is hugely important to us and we are looking for intellectually curious, compassionate people who would like to expand their skills whilst working on a new exciting venture for the firm. We are about bringing new products to market that solve real-world problems for real-life customers, not just innovation for the sake of innovation. We are human first; we love working with each other, and we need personal connections and in-person bonding. We find we are happier, more motivated and more productive this way. If this sounds like something that you would like to be a part of we’d encourage you to read on and apply.
This is a role for a senior engineer who wants to be part of flat-structure organisation and influence the design & development of a green-field initiative.
- You will design and build APIs and highly-available, near realtime, high throughput services that deliver personalized content
- You will drive technical innovation by staying abreast of the latest industry trends, conducting research, and implementing new technologies that can enhance the discovery experience
- You will build and lead an engineering team to design and develop technologies to help customers discover the products we are building
- You will analyze and interpret user data to segment customer cohorts effectively
- You will be responsible for, and have complete ownership of the marketing technology stack
- You will build and own relationships with 3rd party vendors to evaluate and integrate external marketing technology platforms
- You will monitor and analyze customer behavior and engagement metrics to continually refine and optimize discovery strategies
- You will leverage telemetry and analytics tools to understand and track user behavior and how they interact with our products
Required qualifications, capabilities, and skills
We’d like you to have extensive engineering experience, both as a team lead and as an individual contributor, along with some key technical skills:
- Proficiency in Java/Kotlin
- Experience working with cloud platforms like Google Cloud or AWS
- Experience with data/event-driven content personalization at massive scale, with near realtime requirements
- Experience designing and working with event driven architectures
- Experience writing unit, end to end full system tests and performance tests
- Experience building, mentoring, and leading engineering teams, particularly in a flat-structure organization
- A desire to teach others and share knowledge. We aren’t looking for hero developers, more for team players. We want you to coach other team members on coding practices, design principles, and implementation patterns.
- Comfortable in uncharted waters. We are building something new. Things change quickly. We need you to learn technologies and patterns quickly.
- Ability to see the long term. We don’t want you to sacrifice the future for the present. We want you to choose technologies and approaches based on the end goals.
Preferred qualifications, capabilities, and skills
- Experience in marketing automation and campaign management, and familiarity with tools such as Adobe Campaign, Braze or moEngage.
- Familiarity with event based streaming systems like Kafka, Kinesis or Pulsar