Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
The Technology Services (TS) team within Mott MacDonald develops and supports a diverse range of bespoke and product-based complex software systems for clients throughout the UK, internationally and within the Mott MacDonald group.
These systems are developed by our in-house software engineering team, utilising a wide range of programming technologies and deployment into varying technology stacks.
We provide a dynamic, project-orientated development environment, with teams involved in the full lifecycle of system delivery from requirements definition through to design, development, platform configuration and ultimately live system support.
Our primary domain is in the Transport sector, solving real-world problems for clients that manage transport networks and own all forms of transport assets - digital, data and infrastructure. We also provide technical input across multiple domains for projects across other parts of Mott MacDonald meaning we play our part in maintaining Mott MacDonald's carbon neutral certification.
With the growth in demand for Software Engineering across the business, we are expanding our software delivery team. The key objective for this role is the development of software systems and to support system roll-out within the Azure platform and you will be based out of either our Glasgow or Newcastle office, working under an Agile Working policy.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We have been placed fifth in the Top 50 Inclusive Companies list. We do not discriminate and take positive steps to create an inclusive culture.
Reporting to one or more project teams, the successful candidate will be responsible for the:
- Design, implementation and testing of high-quality software
- Liaison with customers to establish requirements, coordinate work and provide support
- Production of design, test and user documentation
- Occasional support and monitoring of live systems
Some aspects of this job will require occasional work outside normal office hours, or on UK client site, so flexibility is essential.
As a developer you will be self-reliant and able to work autonomously, integrating with the software engineering team, supported by management and technical colleagues in both Glasgow and Newcastle to ensure tasks are completed and delivered to a high standard within our established processes and procedures. With an interest and emerging skillset in dev-ops technologies, you will play a key role in supporting the development team as projects migrate and deploy into Azure. With a constantly evolving portfolio of diverse and unique projects, this role will provide the successful candidate the opportunity to work across multiple teams for a variety of clients.
Within the team, you will work within a structured environment which promotes the delivery of quality software to our clients and provides a framework for your continued growth. You will have the opportunity to be mentored by a talented technical team, who will set and support you in meeting challenging goals, ensuring your continued learning and development. The role will include working directly with our clients, remotely and occasionally on-site, and will provide the opportunity to contribute innovation into our solutions.
For this role you should have:
Essential technical skills:
- In-depth knowledge of, and experience with Object Oriented Design
- Experience with formal design, coding, configuration management and testing processes
- Experience with configuration and deployment in Azure
- Security-Check (SC level) security clearance is required for this role. Applicants must apply for this immediately once in-role or it can be transferred from existing employer.
Essential personal skills:
- Highly motivated to learn fast and add value to our development team.
- Be able to communicate effectively both in-person and via telephone, email and documentation.
- Be able to demonstrate initiative and drive in carrying out tasks, constantly seeking improvement
- Have an aptitude for problem solving
- Be a team player and provide a positive contribution to our strong culture
If you have any of these additional skills, you would be of particular interest to us:
- Spring (application framework)
- Hibernate (or other ORM technologies)
- Kubernetes or OpenShift
- Infrastructure as Code
- Jenkins, GIT and Subversion
- JIRA (issue tracking)
- Liaising with clients and/or end-users
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.