Principal Structural Engineer
Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
Mott MacDonald heavy civils and geotechnical engineering capability is recognised as authorative and cutting edge. Our Foundations and Geotechnics team specialise in all aspects of foundations, geotechnics, cut and cover tunnelling and structural engineering to support underground spaces, which enables us to contribute to some of the largest and most demanding projects in the world. These projects range from high speed rail infrastructure between London and Birmingham, Thames Tideway, Doha Metro, Northern Line Extension and London Heathrow Expansion including new terminals and tunnel infrastructure, amongst numerous others.
We are currently recruiting for a Principal Structural Engineer with experience in the design and construction of underground structures to join our team in Croydon, Birmingham, Reading or Bristol comprising of structural and geotechnical engineers covering a range of specialisms and working on a wide range of projects at various levels of responsibility and stages of delivery.
As a Principal Structural Engineer, you will be involved in the design, management and co-ordination (from concept to detail) of structures associated with large underground spaces such as deep basements, cut and cover tunnels and metro infrastructure. Given the nature of these designs you should be fully conversant in soil/structure interaction issues associated with below-ground structures, including appropriate modelling and analysis software. You will also be involved in project management duties for ground engineering projects such as undertaking budgeting and cost control. Due to the nature of our work, you will also travel to client sites when necessary both nationally and internationally.
Your responsibilities will involve:
- Undertaking and/or supervising the design of below ground structures including deep basements, cut and cover tunnels, stations boxes, embedded retaining walls and other ground support systems to the relevant standards (typically Eurocodes 2 and 7).
- Undertaking and/or supervising the design of temporary works associated with underground structures with due attention to safety, buildability and sequencing of the works.
- Management, coordination and delivery of structural designs within a multi-disciplinary environment, interfacing with other specialisms as required.
- Leading design teams whilst mentoring junior members of staff.
- Liason with Clients and Third Parties.
- Planning, programming, resourcing and budgeting of Projects.
As a Principal Structural Engineer you will be able to take a leading role in supporting the delivery of major projects. You will be able demonstrate your experience in civil and/or structural design and construction having delivered various civil infrastructure projects as well as your understanding of soil/structure interaction. You have a fundamental understanding of the requirements of Eurocode 7 and extensive knowledge and experience of undertaking reinforced concrete design in accordance with Eurocode 2. As a collaborative team player, you understand the dynamics of working with and contributing to a team and are comfortable working independently. In addition, you are prepared to travel nationally or overseas when required for project delivery.
You will be able to demonstrate the following:
- A degree in Civil or Structural Engineering or similar (Masters preferred)
- Chartered with a relevant UK or European professional institution
- Experience in the design and/or construction of large scale civil engineering projects
- Appreciation for the multi-disciplinary nature of major infrastructure projects
- Experience liaising with clients and/or third parties to build professional relationships
- Ability to guide design teams and mentor early career professionals
- Good verbal and written communication skills with all levels of staff and clients.
Although not essential, experience in the design of structural steelwork to Eurocode 3 would be beneficial as would any experience in the geotechnical design of earthworks remediation and piled foundations.
We can offer:
Pension matched up to 7%
Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
An annual professional institution subscription
Enhanced parental leave
Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.