Principal Environmental & Sustainability Consultant
Job Type: Full time
The Environmental & Sustainability Services (ESS) team consists of over 12 overhead lines, underground cabling/Wind) and Built Environmental projects (building/cities).
The successful candidate will work within our recently renovated Glasgow office, as well as a wider team in Edinburgh and North England. Working on projects across different sectors provides the opportunity of working with muliti-disciplinary teams within other departments in Mott MacDonald.
Mott MacDonald adopts an agile approach to working which allows for a mix of home working and office working, along with adjusted hours to suit the candidate. Our Glasgow office has recently undergone a modern renovation and the new layout encourages connecting with colleagues inspiring workspaces in addition to the standard approach of desk and meeting rooms..
Your role will include leading and coordinating projects from early stage feasibility and environmental appraisal to full Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) as part of planning applications across a range of regimes. You will be responsible for the management of project teams, undertaking scoping, preparation and delivery of environmental appraisals and assessments, programming EIA processes, environmental risk management and the co-ordination of environmental, social and sustainability specialists. Core skills applicable to this role include the ability to influence the interests of clients, stakeholders, regulators and other government agencies, while communicating with the team to ensure project-related environmental and sustainability concerns/opportunities are identified and addressed.
As a key member of the Environmental and Sustainability Services team, you will also be involved in monitoring resources, managing budgets, guiding staff, undertaking project management, assisting with contract and risk management and attendance at client meetings. You will also be involved in the preparation of fee estimates, proposal writing and general business development activities, as well as providing technical guidance and mentoring of more junior staff members. There will also be opportunities to take on line management duties for less experienced staff within the team, with responsibilities including helping manage workloads, aiding with technical development and looking out for wellbeing in the working environment.
- BSc or MSc in a relevant environmental subject
- Excellent communication skills.
- Commitment to professional excellence
- Knowledge of EU and UK legislation relevance to environmental, planning and environmental management
- Willingness to travel to sites across the UK as and when required
- Experience of environmental assessment and/or town planning
- Multidisciplinary experience related to environmental management, environmental assessment, or an industrial placement will be an advantage
- Chartered Environmentalist and full membership of an environmental Institute (or similar level and working towards chartership)
- IT Skills: MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, MS PowerPoint, Adobe, Arc GIS
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.