Technical Director - Environment & Sustainability
Job Type: Full time
The role is an opportunity to work with our multi-disciplinary project design teams leading on environmental and sustainability assessments and strategies to develop and deliver sustainable design solutions, and will include:
- As a Project Principal directing environmental and sustainability teams to deliver sustainability strategies, management plans, Environmental Impact Assessments and Sustainability Appraisals;
- Being responsible for driving sustainable outcomes and influencing design solutions at a project and programme level;
- Technical checker of environmental and sustainability deliverables and undertake project reviews in line with our business and environmental management systems;
- Engaging with a diverse range of clients and stakeholders at a Senior level, from both the public and private sector. This could be via public consultation events, stakeholder workshops, public inquiries or industry events;
- As an office team leader you will be involved in monitoring resources, managing budgets, undertaking project management, assisting with contract and risk management and attendance at client meetings;
- You will also be involved in the preparation of fee estimates, proposal writing and general business development activities and will have a key role in delivering our ESS services and growing the business;
- People management including coaching and mentoring of senior team members in their technical and career development, as well as supporting them with their line management duties of the junior staff.
Candidate qualifications, skills and experience to include:
- Qualified in a related technical subject (Minimum of a Bachelor's degree essential);
- Qualified to Masters degree level in a relevant subject (desirable);
- Chartered with a professional institution (e.g. CIWEM, IEMA);
- Significant experience in EIA and UK environmental and sustainability legislation and policy, DCO experience would be beneficial;
- Experience working in diverse multi-disciplined teams and leading teams to produce environmental and sustainability deliverables to a high standard;
- Experience working in client facing environment and ability to build relationships and influence stakeholders to deliver positive outcomes;
- Well organised with strong planning and management skills, with ability to produce high quality deliverables and manage budgets and programmes;
- Strong IT skills;
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal; and
- Ability to problem solve, think creatively, and seek continual improvement.
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we are helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. At Mott MacDonald the diversity of the sectors we work in is part of what makes us unique. We are passionate about providing our clients with sustainable solutions by constantly looking at challenges from a fresh angle, and are looking for motivated, forward-thinking individuals to join our expanding teams.
The Environmental & Sustainability Services (ESS) team consists of over 110 environmental and sustainability professionals located across 16 offices spread throughout the UK. ESS are involved in a diverse range of projects across a number of different sectors, including but not limited to highways, rail, energy and water projects for a variety of clients including local authorities, the Environment Agency, water/energy companies and many more. ESS lead on the coordination and management of Environmental Impact Assessments (EIA's) and various other environmental and sustainability deliverables at all stages of the environmental planning process, helping to coordinate inputs from different multidisciplinary environmental technical teams. The ESS team undertake various forms of environmental assessments and sustainability appraisals, liaising with clients, engineers and design teams to identify potential environmental and social constraints, develop suitable mitigation measures, and determine ways in which environmental enhancement and sustainability can be built into project delivery. Digital innovation is also at the forefront of all work undertaken, with several team members skilled in the use of GIS and ESS fully embracing the use of emerging digital technologies.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Director to join our growing Environmental Sustainability Services team (based in Altrincham) within our Water and Environment business. Our Altrincham office supports both public and private sector clients across the region and nationally. In this role there will be opportunities to work on projects across multiple sectors; our team delivers projects across all sectors including Energy, Rail, Transport, Water, Defence and Built Environment.