Location: Greater London
Job Type: Full time
We are currently recruiting for a Bridge Engineer to join our Croydon office and support a growing workload of exciting projects located in the UK and around the world. Our focus is on the use of our skills to deliver innovative and economic solutions for our clients. This has created an enviable reputation in the bridges discipline whether considering the design of new or the assessment of existing structures. As an experienced Bridge Engineer within our Bridges team you will be able to grow a career within our bridges business and you could be responsible for either leading a section of the design or package/ programme managing while reporting to the project director.
Our Bridges division is recognised world-wide as being at the forefront of bridge engineering. Our portfolio includes award winning iconic structures such as Tsing Ma Bridge in Hong Kong, the back to back Bhumibol Bridges in Bangkok and Troja Bridge in Czech Republic. Our recent projects include the River Irwell Bridge (UK's first rail network arch bridge), Doha Orbital Highway, Hammersmith Suspension Bridge Assessment/ Feasibility Study, and Lender's Technical Advisor for the Canakkale Bridge in Turkey, which will be the world's longest suspension bridge. We're also working on large high-speed rail infrastructure projects and UK rail projects such as the recently completed Wessex Capacity Upgrade/ Waterloo Station Upgrade.
Our portfolio of technical work includes cable supported bridges, bridge dynamics, non-linear finite element analysis of structures, collapse modelling, as well as other heavy civil engineering structures and major transportation infrastructure projects.
Responsibilities will include bridge structural analysis and design/assessment, involving:
- Performing (advanced) analysis for a wide variety of (often complex) scenarios
- Designing or assessing all types of bridge structures to develop cost-effective solutions
- Mentoring and nurturing early career professionals within the team
As an experienced Bridge Engineer, you are familiar working to industry codes and standards and are comfortable pushing boundaries where appropriate. You have a good understanding of structural behaviours and are able to translate this knowledge into effective structural design within bridge structures. You also have good structural understanding with the ability to grasp analytical techniques and interrogate the results of analysis. Additionally, with your strong interpersonal skills you have the ability to communicate effectively in face to face meetings with both colleagues and clients. Due to the nature of our projects, you will be willing to travel to project sites in the UK and internationally as required.
You will also be able to demonstrate the following:
- A Master's degree in Civil or Structural Engineering (MSc or equivalent)
- On route to chartership or Chartered with a professional institution or equivalent (ICE/ IStructE etc.)
- Structural design experience working on bridge projects
- Although not essential, it would be advantageous if you have previous experience in project management as would any experience of various software packages (we currently work with packages such as Sofistik, RM Bridge, MIDAS, LUSAS, SAM, and Staad). It would also be beneficial if you have the ability to guide teams in the design project and like to take an innovative approach with an ability to work from first principles and think "outside the box".
We can offer:
- Pension matched up to 7%
- Competitive annual leave and the option to purchase additional annual leave
- An annual professional institution subscription
- Life insurance
- Enhanced parental leave
- Annual company performance bonus scheme - Subject to company performance
- Flexible benefits scheme to suit you, including cycle to work & Interest free season ticket loans etc.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
If you have a disability and would prefer to apply in a different format or would like us to make reasonable adjustments to enable you to apply or attend an interview, please contact us at email@example.com and we will talk to you about how we can assist.
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team and personal commitments. We embrace agility, flexibility and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We're a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients' businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person's differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence