Traction Power Technical Principal
Location: Glasgow City
Job Type: Full time
Do you want to work for a company whose purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes, and to transform businesses, communities, and opportunities for its employees? Mott MacDonald is a global consultancy whose people do exactly that.
This is a very exciting opportunity to become a member of our large, well-established and dynamic Traction Power & EMC team providing specialist consultancy services to an extensive list of international tier 1 clients in the fields of: traction power, earthing & bonding, stray current and electromagnetic compatibility. The work is varied and involves contribution to and/or responsibility for technical delivery of: feasibility and option engineering studies, power system studies, concept designs, technical specifications, detailed designs, support through construction and commissioning, bespoke technical investigations, etc.
Secondment to client project offices within the UK as well as short to medium-term assignments in one of our many overseas offices (Australia, Canada, USA, etc.) are also possible depending on your career aspirations and the right opportunities arising. You will also be given the opportunity to develop and apply your project management and business development skills.
Reporting to and working with the Head of Traction Power, your day-to-day work will include a combination of the following:
- Mentor and coach junior members of staff, facilitating their professional development
- Prepare and/or review traction power technical reports, feasibility studies and option selection reports
- Contribute to, supervise and/or review power system modelling work (using ETAP and/or TRAIN+MCE, Mott MacDonald's multi-train simulator)
- Contribute to, supervise and/or review outline and detailed designs for AC and DC electrification schemes including distribution and contact systems (electrical track equipment)
- Contribute to, supervise and/or review earthing & bonding and protection studies
- Provide input to other disciplines, including Civils/Structures, SCADA, LV Power, Signalling and Signalling Power, System Assurance, etc
- Interface with clients (prepare and give presentations, chair meetings, etc.)
- Contribute to, supervise and/or review bespoke technical investigation, which may require on-site measurements
- Contribute to the traction power team business development, inputting into bids (scope, budget, programme), meeting with prospective clients and identifying business opportunities
- Support the growth of the team by contributing to the identification of potential new recruits and conducting interviews
- Contribute to the Traction Power team growth strategy and development initiatives
- First Degree in electrical engineering or equivalent
- In-depth knowledge of and extensive experience in railway traction power with significant involvement in multidisciplinary design and construction projects in the UK rail market
- Proven track record as a CRE or CEM
- Membership of a relevant professional institution
- Chartered Engineer status or nearing to achievement of professional registration
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills in English
- IT skills: proficiency in usage of MS Office suite: Outlook, Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Experience of design independent assessment
- Appreciation of environmental issues associated with rail engineering works
- IT skills: proficiency in usage ETAP modelling software or similar, TRAIN+MCE simulation software or similar, BIM and associated CAD software package (AutoCAD, Bentley AECOsim and Microstation)
- Network Rail Personal Track Safety pass
One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, Mott MacDonald is a multisector consultancy providing engineering, management, and development services on projects in 150 countries. With over 16,000 of the best people working on a diverse range of challenges, we're helping our clients deliver sustainable infrastructure and development solutions. We have a collegiate and collaborative culture which values equality and diversity, and we take proactive steps to create an inclusive workplace. Together, we are opening opportunities with connected thinking. If this sounds like somewhere you'd like to work, click apply to continue with your application.